So I need to know before ordering the GTX 1070

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
So I need to know a few things before ordering this beast, currently Im running:

PSU: Corsair 750w
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 DVI HDMI VGA DX11 USB3.0
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3 x 2 --- 16 GB

Now the video card is 600$ in total, so I really would like to know if Im gonna have any issues with this current setup and if there are some types of the GTX 1070 I should avoid, any help would be great guys! I plan on using this to game at 144hz 1080p monitor and possible 1440p later on.

you should be fine.
if you could list which Corsair PSU series you got, it would be really helpful as there are good ones and really bad ones
also: what's your current GPU?

your CPU might limit in some games you might wanna consider an upgrade in the future. as for the resolutions the 1070 is a good fit

there is no 1070 I've read really bad things about, except for the Inoo3D iChill x3 which seems to have fan control that's a bit too silent for the card's needs. apart from that there's little need to overspend on a very expensive 1070 unless you're looking on breaking OC records.
I bought a Gainward Phoenix GS myself, didn't run into any problems yet

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016

My current GPU is a GTX 780ti, which isn't a bad card, but having the lack of Video ram can hurt, its like 2.9 something, not a true 3 gb even though thats what it says, an 8 gb would be a huge upgrade for me. As for the PSU, Im told I have one of the better models, not sure what the exact make is, I just know its a 750w cosair.

NextGear

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
DanT33

I have GTX 1070 do to it's availability and it's aftermarket release. Know the OEM specs on this card inside & out! Don't cheat yourself when choosing your 1070. Don't let all those fancy fans fool you, get BEST 1070 specs you can find within your budget.

Happy hunting

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
Price isn't really much of an issue from what Ive seen, I have 700 CAD that I can sink into this, but yes saving money would be great. Thats why I asked if there were any specific cards in the 1070 I should aim towards, I find myself leaning to EVGA Geforce..

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

I can vouch for the Asus Strix version, very quiet and runs very cool.

NextGear

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

Do you still have to pay all those customs tax/shipping fee if you order it STATE side?

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016

I'm in Canada, so I will likely buy from NCIX so no state side fees, should be about 60$ on HST+shipping.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can read reviews and compare specs here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902599

i've yet to read a single review that shows any card being better than the others. performance is almost identical within a couple fps either way and they all run cool and quiet. grab the one that looks good to you and is priced right. read some reviews if you wish but i've not seen any reason to spend the cash on the high end high priced models.

keep in mind, some higher priced cards (like the EVGA top model) come with more power phases which will let you (in theory) get you a better oc
but generally it's probably not worth overspending

as said I went with a Gainward Phoenix and the card does exactly what I bought it for so far, runs fast, cool & quiet and I saved ~90 bucks compared to the fancy ASUS Strix, which I'm sure is a very fine card as well

however I'm not an oc enthusiast. if you enjoy tweaking around and ocing as a hobby, a card with a lot of power phases can come handy

also it depends on the space in your case, there are 1.5 slot and 2.5 slot models, there are cards that are significantly longer than others
if you run on a tight case make sure the card really fits

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you click the link i provided you will see i clearly know all the specs as i have listed them for every model sold!!! so i know about phases and dimensions and all that. can even go into which cards have dual bios and which don't. not to mention which cards need what power connections. some take a single 8 pin and others dual 8- pins and everything in between.

but none of that helps with the overall fps which of course is what matters. boost 3.0 pretty much makes every card perform the same. overclocked or not. you won't see more than a couple fps difference between the cheapest to most expensive cards. this coming from the fact that i have read literally hundreds of reviews for all the various models.

so yes in the past, the high end cards with extra power phases and such were better overclockers. but this generation it is not the case. all that extra stuff only adds to the cost for the same fps you can get cheaper. cool and quiet is also pretty much guaranteed on all except for the FE cards.

so while i do appreciate the attention to detail, overall it is a waste. especially for the top of the price charts like the strix card which costs way too much for way too little. looks and price is the deciding factor for these cards :)

no need to get defensive man.

also I wasn't really talking to you but to OP since I reckon you'll probably already got your hands on several of these beauties.

also as I stated if ob OC for a hobby because one enjoys all the fun it can be to them, spending a little extra on it can be worth it for them

but yeah, I'm with you. the cheapest pascal is the best pascal

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
Thanks everyone for all the helpful info, though now I'm starting to dip towards the 1080, now now, I know my current setup as I explained it before would likely be bottlenecked, but would it be really noticeable? I mean I would still get amazing results with the 1070, but should I just jump straight into a 1080 instead? I don't have 4k, but I do game on 144hz 1080p, and hopefully when I get more cash I can purchase a 1440p monitor.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you might not get the same fps as someone with a newer cpu but it won't by any means be a bad experience. you will still see better fps over a 1070 with a 1080 in your system and that's all that matters really :)

bottleneck is such an often used term but rarely is it an actual problem. just make a new mobo/cpu upgrade next on the list and know you already got a heck of a gpu to go with it!!

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016

So with my current CPU and the 1070 will I see a major preformance gain over my current GPU? the 780ti.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 780ti is roughly the same as a 970. the 1070 beat a 970 by 64% on average at 1080 and 1440p and 79% better at 4k. these numbers are based on combining the results of over a dozen reviews from across the web and are averages across all the games tested.

so yah i'd say the 1070 should be a solid improvement for you. a 1080 of course is even more of an improvement at another ~30% better than a 1070.