AMD Vega coming "1H 2017", effectively gifting the current HEDT market to nVidia's Pascal. Or are they?

actually there is no delay. Vega has always been slated for 2017 release. the so called "october released" is only a rumor. and from that rumor some people get too excited and already take a rumor as a fact. i have seen in other forum some people saying that 1080 have supply issue and supply probably won't be good until july. then further conclude that buying 1080 in july will be a bad decision because vega will be coming out in october.

1H 2017....we probably not going to see Vega until around end of june 2017 if they release them in the same manner as polaris.

Jay Santos

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
AMD is responsible for their false hype.
1. Polaris is ultra power efficient. We all know what happened.
2. 2 480 out performs a 1080. Yeah right.

I think they're learning their lesson from putting their foot in their mouth.

3ogdy

Distinguished

But...I thought their strategy was to release mid-range & low-end cards first then come up with the answer to GTX1080 later.
It seems AMD has no answer to nVidia's GTX 1080, they just worked hard on Polaris, then when they saw what nVidia's toys were capable of, they simply marketed the RX480 as mid-range GPU from the start, instead of going crazy saying it's magic and rules the roost as they usually do just to disappoint people when reviews come in.

I think this is a very well-learned lesson for AMD.

3ogdy

Distinguished

I'm going to say the same thing:
1. Polaris is nowhere near nVidia's power efficiency.
2. I clearly remember they stated 480 CF would beat a 1080...and they're far from it. I thought they were pathetic to put TWO of their newest GPUs together to compare themselves to ONE GPU from their competitor.

At the time I wanted to believe the RX480 was not their top of the line and thus there was value in it still...since it was aiming for 1080 territory in CF. Now, as time goes by and news reveal AMD actually had its RX480 not as a mid-range GPU but they had actually thought it to compete against the 1080....FAILED on their way to get there and had to limit themselves to releasing it as a mid-range GPU so that people don't immediately see the abysmal difference between the two, I'm just disappointed at how this turned out, but happy to see AMD put in its place.
If you have what it takes to run with the big guys, go ahead and be loud about it. If you don't, STFU - all their hype-building did for them was damage, especially with "The return of the FX" and excrement like that.

It's the same old story, just that they handled it better...the RX480 is as much of a competitor for GTX1080 as the FX-8150 was the "i7 killer", as much as a liquid-cooled Fury X card beat the blower-cooled GTX980Ti (not)...and so on and so forth.
I miss the Athlon 64 days. At least AMD knows what they have on their hands and how to market it.
It's funny how things turned around and AMD are now the Pentium 4-holders while Intel[strike] has the upper hand. [/strike] has been dominating the CPU market for (too) many years

some of that you can probably attribute to their "hardcore" followers. AMD already hinting where polaris will stand when nvidia close to unveil their 1080/1070.

http://videocardz.com/59445/amd-polaris-aiming-at-vr-capable-graphics-cards

i take that as polaris probably going to offer similar performance to 390s at cheaper price (i did comment on that article as well). then just look at the comments for that article. most of them take it as 980ti/fury x performance for the around the same price as 390.

hard to say actually. "going with mid range first" can be their revised plan after they aware they can't make polaris compete with nvidia GP104. i still remember one of the talk earlier this year about Raja mentioned that he is confident that they are ahead of their competitor when it comes to FinFet. then BAM. 1080/1070 launch ahead of polaris. and that after some people keep touting that nvidia will be in trouble because they did not show anything related to pascal in CES like AMD did with Polaris.

TRENDING THREADS