Weird. Computer would'nt turn on whilst pressing the power button..

RustyMiester

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
so i've had my costume built pc for a couple of years now but this morning it was working fine. but when i got home from work i tried powering it on by pressing the main power button it booted up but didnt load no windows logo, but then kind of shut down. my mouse light was on and the led around the power button was lit up. then it kind of went dead. i tried again, pressing teh button to power it on and it wouldnt boot up. it was completely flat line. i walked out of the room. had a wash and so, came back in and it was on. weird? is this a virus issue or overheat issue?. im kind of boggled. cause be fore it switched off/restarted it's self.

Solution

i ened up changing the thermal paste and buying a cpu cooler. this fixed the issue. try removing and renewing the thermal paste!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you tell us specs of PC?

I would check wiring and just see if something come lose inside (unplug PC first for safety)

you can re purpose the functions of the buttons in win 10 but they aren't something that randomly happens.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your power supply is Tier 4 on here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Built down to a low price. Not exactly the most stable units ever created. Very basic safety circuitry or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice.

May not be cause but it might be, maybe PC isn't getting enough juice to start everything up. Something odd going on.

RustyMiester

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
its never been like it though, only today... ive just shut down the pc now and tried again and boots up fine with out no quarrels, but it did have problems with my internet connection, so just switched of my router off/on.. works now. also you mentioning the tier 4 specs of the psu, it does get coil whining from my gpu when playing games. is there any way you can show or tell if my comp is operating as it should, it seems fine but ive always been suspicious about my build, seeing i put it together myself. what do you think of teh specs personally? are you suggesting, changing my psu??

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
I have a similar issue except the pc won't even get to post. The fans whir for a few seconds, stop then start then stop and so on without getting any further except occassionaly after a few hours left like that. I've ordered a new PSU. My old one was a no brand 1000w unit as I have a lot of stuff in my PC!" The new one is a quality corsair unit and I'm hoping this will fix things. Meanwhile I daren't power down the PC!!

RustyMiester

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

hope it works. post back soon!

Colif

Win 11 Master
MERGED QUESTION
Question from RustyMiester : "Psu or over heating"

i was the one who suggested it might be PSU but if anyone can think of a better idea, I am all ears :)

turning on/off randomly
not turning on at all
not booting at all.

I wasn't sure it was PSU as I don't like guessing.

RustyMiester

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
the psu is about 2 years old. im guessing it might be the thermal paste. not teh psu.. but im not sure. it hasnt caused problems before but it does switch of occasionally now and then, but kind rarely or doesnt boot up but then magically boots up...

looked around inside at wiring and such, wiring is ok, but i had it moved to the back of the casing some weeks ago so the case wouldnt heat up as much, maybe this is tugging on teh wiring due to it being threaded through teh back of teh case? (the casing isnt a very good construct for wiring, so you have to make due), also took a look at the cpu and if the thermal paste was ok. it was a bit runny and moving of the cpu heat sink and chip, kind of pasted this back onto the cpu using a card. may have to buy some more. also made sure cpu was ok in place. my computer sped up a little bit, felt the difference once booting up.. also having some trouble now with ethernet cable. its not being picked up on my machine. so now converted to using my wireless.. also found out i couldnt get into bios once booting whilst hitting the del. this is a bit weird too. not sure if its because im using a tv monitor or something disabling it...

RustyMiester

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

i ened up changing the thermal paste and buying a cpu cooler. this fixed the issue. try removing and renewing the thermal paste!

Solution