I7 6700k stock speed too hot?

nickname47

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
fu9z5ksmr

I have an I7 6700k at stock speed with a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EVO cooler, and when running Prime95 it reaches 100C in the first minute. While gaming it reaches above 70C.

Should I change the cooler? what might cause the problem?

Thank you

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
Could be improper cooler mounting. To much thermal paste, not enough thermal paste. Try removing the cooler, cleaning the heatsink and CPU of thermal paste, and reapplying a amount of thermal paste the size of a pea, and make sure cooler is properly mounted.

nickname47

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Not sure I follow.... what do you mean by contact pressure? and what about the latest versions of Prime?

The contact pressure between the HSF and the processor needs to be quite high, so screw it down quite tightly, failure to do this leads to elevated temps. With the original push pin cooler i've seen mobo's bend slightly due to the pressure.

Later versions of prime make use of the cryptographic accelerations in the CPU, however these generate a disproportionate amount of heat, and so are inappropriate for testing purposes, if you look in the overclocking sticky it'll tell you which version to stop at.

nickname47

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
Thank you for the insight. Today or tomorrow i will open it, see if there is a problem with the cooler mounting, and change the thermal paste... i'll keep you updated

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

Make sure you look up the proper way to clean a CPU and cooler. Otherwise, u could end up frying your CPU.