Getting new monitors for gaming/movie watching, and for video editing/photoshop

baterax

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hello!

So, it's time to upgrade my monitor (s).

I run two rigs here. One is a Mac Pro with two screens, that I use mostly for all creative stuff like video editing, Photoshop and whatnot;

The other is a self-built gaming PC.

Now, everything I have as far as displays is really old:

The PC is running on an old Samsung 32" LCD TV (precisely, the LN32A550P3RXZD);
The Mac has two monitors: Samsung Syncmaster P2370 and an even older 204t.

Now, on the PC side, after watching a bunch of reviews and reading about this, I'm leaning towards the Acer X34. The one that's making it kinda hard to choose, though, is the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q.
These two are identical in almost every way, but the ASUS has no bezels on the sides, making it attractive when you think about adding more monitors later, for that almost seamless multi screen setup.
Even the price is almost the same!!!
But the differences: Contrast ratio 100,000,000:1 on the Acer vs. 1,000:1 on the ASUS. This looks like someone mistyped, I find it hard to believe it's THAT big of a difference between two such similar screens. But, my very old Samsung here has 50,000:1. Hmmm.
Response time also very close: X23 at 4ms and ASUS at 5ms. Not enough of a difference to be a decision maker.
ASUS eats a little more power (100W vs. 54W) and is a bit heavier (2kg difference)
So, HELP! Which one?

And then we have the Mac side. I guess I could use the same monitor because these two babies are both IPS, right? And if it's ultra-wide, I can ditch the two screens and stick with one.

Maybe I should get one of each since it's so hard to decide, and hook up one of them to each machine? Or just get two of the same and buy some sort of switch so I can use them both on both rigs?

And, I've noticed they both only go up to 100Hz. Do I need more?

Also, is my GTX 970 gonna be able to drive the 2K resolution on them? I'm not worried about the Mac Pro because lol.

Thoughts?

For convenience, here's a comparison:
https://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/313604-336052

Solution
The questions you ask are 100% preference. I believe that I answered your questions already, which is why I didn't get back to you, as your new questions are really just based on your original questions, just rephrased.

I understand that it may be difficult, but the only way to find out would be to run your system with etiher monitor and see which one you prefer the most.

You shouldn't be surprised that you don't get any replies, because this question is too much towards preference than a technical issue which requires some technical knowledge to solve. Most users stay away from "is X better than Y?" questions. No disrespect towards you as a user, just far too common, so eventually people got tired of it.

I'm still monitoring this...
No it's correct contrast ratio, they just put the dynamic contrast vs the static contrast. The static contrast is accurate, dynamic is not, it's a marketing trick.

I would buy the monitor that has got the features you're looking for. I would keep the TV if you still have room for it on your desk after buying a monitor that is even wider than your TV. I would keep it because it would be a good idea to use it as a full screen preview when editing photos or when editing videos.

baterax

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hmmm good point, but I won't have the space, sadly...

And the "features I'm looking for" are clear except for the refresh rate. From what I've been reading and watching, higher mostly makes a difference for FPS games. Which I play, but not on a competitive level.

But, I will be playing Star Citizen so for fast dogfighting gameplay and also for the FPS aspect of it, might be helpful. But is it worth the extra $600?

The questions you ask are 100% preference. I believe that I answered your questions already, which is why I didn't get back to you, as your new questions are really just based on your original questions, just rephrased.

I understand that it may be difficult, but the only way to find out would be to run your system with etiher monitor and see which one you prefer the most.

You shouldn't be surprised that you don't get any replies, because this question is too much towards preference than a technical issue which requires some technical knowledge to solve. Most users stay away from "is X better than Y?" questions. No disrespect towards you as a user, just far too common, so eventually people got tired of it.

I'm still monitoring this thread, and I'll add to the discussion if I feel like it's necessary.

All the best!

Solution

baterax

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I guess that makes sense. I know that testing is the only real way, but that's my problem. In Brazil I don't have easy access to these things, so everytime I buy something, I do it when I go to the US and in that case, I need to be SURE of what to buy before I go to a store there, seeing as I won't have any way to exchange anything after I'm back here... and over there obviously, I won't be able to test anything on my system.

But thank you!!