My computer won't remain off after shut down

zyton

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Computer won't remain off after shut down. I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 but I also re-installed a lot of other programs. Since then, my computer restarts on its own about 5 seconds after I shut it down. I have made sure all the power on options have been turned off in the Bios. I contacted Microsoft, but after inspecting my computer they said it wasn't a Windows problem and blew me off. I have never had this problem previously.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
After you shut it down, does the CPU fan stop spinning permanently? Or it somehow spins again for no reason? You'd need to open your case to figure this out.
If it turned on again, I assume some switch might went haywire. In my experience, I once had a case where the culprit were the reset and power button on the casing itself. But still, it could be something else entirely.

zyton

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Thank yourush21hit. The computer shuts down completely, including the fans and all the lights but it restarts after about 5 - 7 seconds and boots right up

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Try plug off jack switch for power and reset button for the case. Turn it on by making contact on the copper pin at the power copper. Easily doable by using screwdriver and bit of steady hand. Shut it down after that, see if board turned on again.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

To answer this you must first understand the layout of power switch on a motherboard. Worry not, most of the time the design remain the same across any board by any generation.

Basically it would look like this
5FT0y.jpg

Usually located somewhere near the edges of the board like this:
pvos4.jpg

What your power button on your case does is simply create a quick contact between 6 and 8 copper pins(picture A). You can artificially create such contact by using simpler method, if somehow the power button on the case might be susceptible to damage.

zyton

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Thank you rush21hit for your help. If I am understanding this correctly, this is to check if the power switch functions properly. I am very confident that the power switch iworks fine. It turns the machine on and off. The problem is that the machine comes back on in 5 to 7 seconds.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
What I was trying to say is, if the power jack switch doesn't connected to case's buttons yet still persist to turned on for no reason even after you turn it off with this method, then I can assume something else got shorted somewhere within the board power cable. It could be anything, afaik. But either way, this can only indicates your board has been compromised.