Whats stopping us from upgrading tv monitor hardware? 1080>2160?

ebayguy2006

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
We all know now a days you dont have to go out n buy a new computer like you seem to do with tvs. Now, most will look into upgrading before completly moving on.

So what is stopping us from upgrading a 1080p tv monitor to handle 4k input? Ive spent days of hours worth messing with newer 4k video cards, tvs, ect and have seen 4k content and upscaled 1080p to 4k via my r9 390 8gb card inputed and compared via 1080 and 2160 screens. Im guessing my graphics card is upscaling or force able overclocked data if you will into my old 1080p 3d 55" vizio tv. Im guessing that even though output looks close to identical, there are probably some differences, or bottleknecks holding back the 1080p tv from matching the 4k one. I know its not the screens, or the hdmi cables. Guessing the vizio has no 2.0 hdmi port, and than maybe something to do with the processor or hz limiting the input.

So the big question is, cant i upgrade the hdmi 1.4 port to a 2.0 and possibly other things to allow the 4k input to not be limited or bottleknecked anymore. Essentially putting a bit of time and money into a great tv, in order to extend its life and usefullness, instead of buying new again and again and again, like many did and still do with computers?

If anyones reply is in reference to pixels in the screen or something, please explain. Ive seen blueray 1080 be surpassed by downscaled 4k and other content ive inputed into the vizio 1080p. Pretty sure i saw more color pizels per area displayed, which makes me think its not the screen in this situation.

Sure woild be sweet to pop a few new hardware pieces into the tv and avoid the wallet onslaught.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello,

Do you know what upscaling 1080 to 4k means? It means taking the 1080p content and making it fit on all pixels (with some visible quality loss). It's not taking 1080p and adding more information to the signal to make it appear sharper, or anything like it. Actually, 1080p is sharper before it's being upscaled to 4k.

For this to work the scaler would have to be replaceable by something better, definitely. But I don't see this happening anytime soon, because they tried so hard to push people away from 1080p, including working on the TV's specs in terms of picture quality (not just resolution) way more on 4k than 1080p.

Remember that firmware is what let's the different manufacturers have their own "unique" flavor if you will...
What is stopping you? HOW ABOUT THE FACT YOU DON'T HAVE A 4K SCREEN. A 1080P monitor has 1920x1080 pixels and anywhere between 1.5 and 4x as many sub-pixels (which each show only one color and CANNOT be used separately)

Question answered.

Are you sure you weren't smoking weed at the time? It's literally impossible to see more than 1920x1080 pixels in a 1080p screen.

As for quality, just like anything else numbers aren't everything. If the image was shot out of focus with low quality lenses at 4K the image can look like it has less resolution than a 1080p image shot with perfect focus and a better lens, but in reality the resolution is still there, just made useless. Likewise, if you play a 4K video with 2mbps it'll look worse than a 1080p video at 200mbps using the same encoding. Just how things work.

Hello,

Do you know what upscaling 1080 to 4k means? It means taking the 1080p content and making it fit on all pixels (with some visible quality loss). It's not taking 1080p and adding more information to the signal to make it appear sharper, or anything like it. Actually, 1080p is sharper before it's being upscaled to 4k.

For this to work the scaler would have to be replaceable by something better, definitely. But I don't see this happening anytime soon, because they tried so hard to push people away from 1080p, including working on the TV's specs in terms of picture quality (not just resolution) way more on 4k than 1080p.

Remember that firmware is what let's the different manufacturers have their own "unique" flavor if you will, not so much the hardware they're using.

All the best!

Solution

ebayguy2006

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
must be more sub pixels activated or in use when i downscale 4k on the 1080p tv and comparing it. ya i learned shortly after posting this the diff between resolution and pixels. Ive been having issues with the 60hz 4k monitors, and trying to see what the hype is. still working on getting 444 on them, and hopefully that is the major turning point. currently 8bit 420 is just not that much of a diff from my 1080 screens.

so i guess the answer is the screens firstly being the limiter.