Build Log & Questions - Ryme's New Rig

RymeTone

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
What's up guys? First post and it's going to be a big one! However, I'm looking to build a new dream rig to last me just a long as my current 2600k rig has. I came into a little extra $$ and the wife has signed off. <- That's big.

At this point I'm in the learning about all the new stuff phase before even building a component list so I have a few questions.

A few things you should know.

#1. I have been an IT guy for 12 years and have run SLI in high end rigs since I got my first 8800GTX. I'm not exactly up to date on the latest and greatest, but I know my way around a rig.

#2. I always end up running 3-way SLI. I buy one card...add another...add another and then start the process all over again. (currently 3x GTX980's)

#3. I'm lazy so I like closed loop water-cooling solutions (cpu only)(currently H100i)

#4. I like to future proof as best I can. (I'm still running Raid 0 Intel 730 sata SSD's.) but would like to explore m.2 and u.2 though I know nothing about either at this point.

#5. I have a dedicated Domain controller and 11TB raid 5 on an LIS controller setup for video storage (not important now, but will be when I start talking about 10GBe later on)

Questions so far.

#1. Chip-set - How do PCI-Express lanes work with the new Z170 1151 chip-set? My goal is to get my current 3-way SLI GTX980 setup all running in 16x at 3.0 speed. I remember looking into this when 1151 was brand new and getting some advice to go X99 because that was the only way to get enough PCI-Express lanes to do what I wanted. However, to do this I would have to buy an 8 or 10 core CPU to achieve this. Another little tid bit, I run a YouTube channel, non PC related, so I do a lot of high end video editing (soon to be 2-4k) so I am in no way opposed to "the more cores". Is this still the case with 1151 or have they moved back to an NF200 type chip to handle this? I can't find any 8-10 core 1151 chips. They are all 2011-v3.

#2. Chip-set #2 - Should I go X99 or Z170? Again, about a year ago it seemed like the Z170 was going to be more geared to work stations and not gaming. However, in just looking at what is available this may not be true at this time. Sounds like voltage management was moved off of the die and back on to the board which would help with temps and overclocking correct?

#3. Memory - I need to know all things DDR4. I assume that the old standard of more is better still holds true, so I figure quad channel at the highest clock speeds and tightest timings is still the way to go. Right?

#4. Closed loop water cooling - Should I stick with the H100i? It works just fine and has kept my 2600k happy at 4.0ghz for a few years now. Is there something better out there now an if so is it worth the upgrade?

$5. Case - I need a new case. I currently have the Cooler Master Storm Trooper. It's nice, but could be better. Everything now has LED's so I'd like something I can build clean and show off components. However, I'm a function over form man, so flashy takes a back seat if something without a window works much better then something with.

#6. CPU - Obviously we can cover this more once we figure out the chip-set question above. However, I am an Intel guy who games and edits videos, so both number of cores and clock speed matter to me. I know, double whammy.

#7. Fans - I've had one hell of a time with these COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002 fans making a racket mounted on the H100i. After a long and hard install I found out that they make awful noise when mounted horizontally. Is Noctua still the top of the game?

I think that's a pretty good start and enough information to make the unhelpful people lose interest. Thanks to anyone who offers advice or helpful information.

RymeTone

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
$2,000 but can go slightly higher if need be. I already have GPU's. My main need is to be pointed in the right chip-set direction.

RymeTone

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
So far I'm looking at putting

This guy - 6900k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117645

On this guy - Asus Rampage V Edition 10 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132838

As far as I can figure out X99 is still the only way to get 40 PCI Express lanes. Unless I'm mistaken. However that math doesn't work out because 16x3=48......?

I'm also worried that I buy into X99 now and two months from now something better is released and I'm screwed. Hence the future proofing comment above.

The next Extreme series CPU will not support X99 lineup. But the upcoming Extreme edition which will be Skylake-X will release in 2018 which is a long wait.
So, don't worry X99 will stay top of the line for long time.