Which is the best port for gaming

Mikeburdge

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016
Im sorry if you get a lot of these and im sorry if its in the wrong area but all the answers i could find while googling it i just couldn't understand so as the title suggests i am looking to find out which of these ports are the best because i recently bought an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB GDDR5X. It has 1 x DVI-D, 1 x HDMI and 3 x DisplayPort now if i am correct then the HDMI is not the best because it also has to transfer sound through the cable as well as the picture and DVI-D is the best because it completely ignores the sound and just sends through the picture. I if i am wrong please correct me and thank you in advance.

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB GDDR5X Specifications

Solution
Completely wrong... You seem to be confused as to what these "ports" are.

DVI single link and HDMI up to 1.4b are 100% compatible both ways, anything you can do on DVI-D you can do on HDMI and vice versa. That includes not having audio.

In general though, you should prefer displayport if your monitor supports it, for simplicity and a tiny bit less energy use.
Completely wrong... You seem to be confused as to what these "ports" are.

DVI single link and HDMI up to 1.4b are 100% compatible both ways, anything you can do on DVI-D you can do on HDMI and vice versa. That includes not having audio.

In general though, you should prefer displayport if your monitor supports it, for simplicity and a tiny bit less energy use.

Solution

Mikeburdge

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016

Thank you for clearing that up for me it seems i got the wrong idea from somewhere

What's your monitor? Essentially DVI/HDMI/Displayport are all lossless, digital signals, so as long as the resolution of your monitor is supported then it makes no difference which cable you use.

Things can get a bit complicated if you're trying to run high resolution monitors (like 1440P or higher), high frequency monitors (like 120 or 144hz displays), or you've got additional features like GSync, or you want to send audio to your monitor (though if you've paid for a 1080, you really should have a gaming headset or much better quality speakers than the ones on your monitor).

Generally people will say DisplayPort is "best" because (just about) everything works. It's the most advanced standard that supports the widest range of displays and features. Having said that, if your display doesn't require those things, then HDMI or DVI will do an identical job.

TRENDING THREADS