First time PC Builder calling for help

Omistone

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Hey guys!

So I've decided to build my own PC and as a first time builder, I'm quite nervous about the decisions that go into choosing the parts. I was wondering if anyone could look over the parts list I've put together so far and give me and pointers/recommendations/criticism for the build.

The primary function of this computer will be for gaming (Skyrim, Witcher3, No Man's Sky, etc) so I'm looking for something that is somewhat in the performance department for that level of gaming. My budget is maximum $2,000, but I'm from Australia and our dollar isn't strong at the moment; so don't be too surprised if some of these prices look a little high (I have checked around for hours and hours, for a couple months now; these are the best prices/value I can find for the parts). Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Component Type................Component....................................................Cost($AUD.00)
*Graphics card....................Gainward GTX 1060 3GB...............................305
*CPU...................................Intel i5 6600.................................................306
HSF/Cooling.......................Raijintek Themis CPU Cooler............................39
*Motherboard.....................ASRock Z170 ATX..........................................159
RAM...................................(4Gx2) Corsair 8GB DDR4...............................66
HDD....................................WD Blue SATA3 1TB.......................................66
SSD....................................Samsung 850 PRO 256G................................155
Power Supply......................Corsair 80+ Gold Semi-Modular CS650M.........135
Case...................................NZXT Phantom 410........................................145

Thank you again for any advice!

n3onis

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
First of all, it all fits well. A few recommendations to lower your price; you don't need a Z170 chipset motherboard, as your processor is not unlocked, unless that's a typo and you are actually getting the 6600K. Any H110, H150 or H170 motherboard will do, depending on the functions you need. But it seems like a pretty non-expensive Z170 board, so you could keep it anyway.

Everything really depends on your budget, but the build will work as it is. I have recently built a similar built for ~700€ or ~1040 AU$. (i5 6500, GTX 1060 6GB, MSI H110m PRO-VD MoBo, 8GB ram, XFX TS 550W PSU).

Omistone

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Thanks so much. Compatability was the biggest worry I had so I'm glad to hear that it all works together.

I wasn't sure how big the difference would be between the 6600 and 6600k, so I kinda just chose the cheaper one. I might look at moving up to the unlocked if the board was designed for it.

I really appreciate the time you took to help me out, selecting the right components has been stressful. It would be a nightmare to get all the parts and have them not fit together.

Thanks again :)

Evoke186

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
everything looks good to me. the only suggestions i'd have is getting a 6gb GTX 1060 and a 6600k if you might overclock in the future.