Why so many overpriced auctions on eBay?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
So recently when browsing a local garage sale website, I noticed an ad for a 720p plasma TV that was currently selling for $1149 that was being given away for $300. I was immediately suspicious because there is no way a TV like that is being sold for that high a price. The link in the ad was to a live eBay auction, so it was indeed being listed at that price. Searching sold items on eBay yielded prices in the $200 to $350 range. So is this the whole reason you see these ludicrously high prices on some auctions? So people can make it look like you are getting the deal of the century? It irritates me only because I feel like it's trying to take advantage of ignorant people. I had to refrain from commenting.

Solution
Plasma is nice, but 720P units are a drug on the market.
The best place to find the true value is to find the item and filter on completed auctions.
I green, you will see what the item actually sold for.

And... on a large item like a TV, you need to factor in shipping costs.

You're right on the money. Some users will entice or pay other users to list at a ridiculously high price so that they can sell at a normal price and make it look like a good deal by comparison.

Plasma is nice, but 720P units are a drug on the market.
The best place to find the true value is to find the item and filter on completed auctions.
I green, you will see what the item actually sold for.

And... on a large item like a TV, you need to factor in shipping costs.

Solution