PLEASE HELP! Preventing booting in safe mode

george-94

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Hello, I am in desperate need of help.

My dad has a severe gambling addiction and to prevent him from gambling we have installed K9 Web Protection on all computers in the house. This software prevents him from accessing any gambling related sites. He has up until now not been computer able, however, he has recently researched and learnt how to boot the computer in safe mode - therefore bypassing K9 Web Protection software from loading and allowing him to again access gambling sites.

Does anyone know what I can do to prevent him from accessing safemode? Is there a way of disabling or password protecting safemode?

The obvious answer would be to not allow him to use a computer, but unfortunately he must have access to a computer for work :(

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Solution
Hello george-94

My suggestion would be, if you have not already done it yet, create a standard (non-admin) user account for your dad. This way he will only be able to use the normal features on the computer, and he cannot perform any administrative tasks.

Next, you can check this link where Microsoft explains a method to keep standard users from logging in to Safe Mode. Although the method is for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, Windows 10 being an upgraded version may also support the procedure.

Needless to mention, use an administrator account yourself and keep it password protected.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!
Hello george-94

My suggestion would be, if you have not already done it yet, create a standard (non-admin) user account for your dad. This way he will only be able to use the normal features on the computer, and he cannot perform any administrative tasks.

Next, you can check this link where Microsoft explains a method to keep standard users from logging in to Safe Mode. Although the method is for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, Windows 10 being an upgraded version may also support the procedure.

Needless to mention, use an administrator account yourself and keep it password protected.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

Solution

george-94

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
That sounds like a good idea. Thank you so much.
Once I have done this have you any other ideas how he might still be able to bypass software and access gambling sites?

I really appreciate the help. It is really stressing me out.

:)