Dvi i to vga not working in dell e1914h monitor

1Aneik1

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
I have a dell e1914h monitor (analog/vga).Yesterday I bought a Zotac GTX 950 2gb graphics card (single fan model).
Since my monitor is vga I also bought a dvi i (24+5 pin) to vga adapter.But while connecting the vga cable of the monitor to that adapter (which is connected to the gtx 950) it says "no vga cable.the display will go to power saving mode in 5 minutes."
The fan of the graphics card is running,so at least power is coming to that card.
But when I connect the vga cable of monitor to the vga port of motherboard (intel hd 4600) the monitor displays perfectly (vga to vga works perfectly).

Also I tested the monitor with my very old 9500 GT graphics card.It has both vga & dvi i port.
The monitor works perfectly when connected to the vga port of 9500 GT.But when I use the dvi i to vga adapter in 9500 GT monitor says the exact same message (no vga cable.....).

I thought that it might be a faulty adapter.So,today I bought a new dvi i to vga adapter.
Problem remains exactly the same. :??:

Please help...... & thanks in advance.... :)

Solution

Based on what you said you did, that's what I deduced it had to have been. The only thing I can say at this point is to get on Dell support forums and see if they have any ideas. I read a review of your monitor on NewEgg where a guy said he had issues using digital HDMI to VGA with the monitor.

So apparently, as I suspected, there's an issue with the board in the monitor that doesn't like converted digital out from source with an adapter to analog in to the monitor. He did say that he was able to get it to work with a complete single HDMI out to VGA in cable with no converter. This DVI-I to VGA cable...
If you have two DVI ports on your GPU (DVI-D, DVI-I) did you make sure you have the adapter plugged into the I port and not the D port? The I port has a single thin input line to the right of the pin holes surrounded by four square holes, and the D has only the thin input line by itself. See: http://i.imgur.com/Ocs7ZXl.jpg

If you have the adapter plugged correctly into the DVI-I port on the GPU, did you try switching the monitor source from VGA to DVI just to see if that works? If yes to both, it's possible you have a bad DVI-I adapter. I would rule out having bad DVI-I ports on both GPUs...that's just too remote of a chance to have both GPUs will failing DVI-I ports.

1Aneik1

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

Thanks for giving your time to help me... :)

I can confirm firmly that I have a dvi i (24+5 pin) to vga adapter & not a dvi d (24+1 pin) to vga adapter since the 2nd one is worthless without an actual converter as far as I know....

Also I think my monitor Dell E1914h has only vga port & no dvi port/cable....so, I cant change vga to dvi mode in the monitor settings.

Yeah I'm sure you have the correct adapter....I was just ensuring if you were sure you had it plugged into the correct DVI out on the GPU. Well honestly I cannot think of anything else. Do you have a friend with a PC that you can test that adapter and VGA cable with on his equipment? The fact it doesn't work with both the GPUs, and you tried another adapter is a real head scratcher.

The only thing I can otherwise think of there's just something inside the monitor that is causing it to choke up the DVI-I out signal changed to VGA through the adapter, which is why you should see if you can take the adapter and cable to a friend's PC iwith a GPU with a DVI-I output and monitor with a VGA input.

1Aneik1

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

Thanks again for your reply....I will try that... :)
Thankfully I have a 2nd PC which also has analog/vga monitor...
:)

1Aneik1

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

Thanks for your reply... :)

Yes...I connected it with the pcie 6 pin connector....
Fan of the gtx 950 running flawlessly...

1Aneik1

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

Today morning I tried it with my 2nd 7 year old HCL monitor (vga)....Although I used the vga cable of the new monitor...

To my utter surprise it worked!!! Both cheapo 3$ dvi i to vga adapters worked well with the GT 9500 dvi i port...
I haven't tested it on the GTX 950 yet...I think it should work...I will update you if it works...

So,it narrows down to one culprit- My newer dell E1914h monitor (vga)...

Now,what may be the cause?....what will be my next step?

Based on what you said you did, that's what I deduced it had to have been. The only thing I can say at this point is to get on Dell support forums and see if they have any ideas. I read a review of your monitor on NewEgg where a guy said he had issues using digital HDMI to VGA with the monitor.

So apparently, as I suspected, there's an issue with the board in the monitor that doesn't like converted digital out from source with an adapter to analog in to the monitor. He did say that he was able to get it to work with a complete single HDMI out to VGA in cable with no converter. This DVI-I to VGA cable would be your last chance to try and it's only $8 plus tax and shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Ugreen-Digital-Plated-Support-Projector/dp/B00B2HP8AW/ref=pd_cp_0_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GMB9CG3T42CFBPWH5F83

^^Reading some of the Amazon reviews also shows people using adapters couldn't get their DVI out to VGA in to work on their monitor and this worked for them. Good luck!

Solution

1Aneik1

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

Thanks...I will try that..

But I got a new problem mate!!
My PSU is 500 watt with 2 pcie (6+2) pin connectors....
When I connect the pci connector to the GTX 950 the computer does'nt power up,no fans running,no lights,like its completely dead...
But when I remove the connector it runs normally!!!

The PSU is bronze certified....
I am attaching a pic of the PSU & the pci connector....

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=P_20160903_172654.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=P_20160903_172752.jpg

Here is a picture of my PC health status from BIOS
https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=P_20160903_193929.jpg

It looks like I am completely running out of luck... :??:

That's an indication of a short-circuit.

Your Dropbox links require a login so I can't see anything you've linked to. Use a free image hosting server like Postimage.org or imgur.com.

What's the brand and model number of the power supply unit?

1Aneik1

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
You were correct mate...It was indeed a short circuit.
A loose screw was causing this.
Everything running OK now...

Thank you guys for your sincere efforts to help me. :):bounce:
REGARDS....