[SOLVED] opinion on New, Used or Refurbished card

gussrtk

Honorable
This is for an i5-6500.

I'm looking at a couple of choices, I want to try stay around 150$ CAN. Paired with i5-6500. I already have the system but it's set up with my old 550ti, My friend was going to give me his old gtx 580 but he didnt end up upgrading so i got to look for something in my budget now

Choices:

NEW Zotac GTX 750 ti 2GB - Right now 140$ for me
REFURBISHED EVGA GeForce GTX 960 DirectX 12 02G-P4-2968-RX 180$
USED Gygabyte 7970 / or 7850 depending on weather the person still has it 140$

the "new" one is lets say... feeling safe with no worries.... Refurbished is like... was it fixed properly or am i gonna have issues.... and used is a gamble :(

Just looking for some opinions

justanotherjose

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
You should look into a RX 470. You can get a new one for $180 and it gives similar performance to a GTX 970. At 140$ you might as well get a GTX 950.

gussrtk

Honorable

yeah as i mentioned in the first post... I live in canada... so my rx470 costs around 250$ min. the 950s are right around the refurbished 960 that's why im looking into that

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I've bought refurb and used cards before with good success, used means still functional and refurb means factory tested functional but may have coil whine or some other issue that caused it to get returned, my 780ti refurb card made some horrible noise like a loud hornet buzzing inside my case when it was cooling down, I took the card apart and noticed a couple loose screws on the shroud, tightened them and it was quiet ever since.

I would get used but a refurb card comes with warranty so it'll cost more but that's up to you. Most used cards on ebay are good, just don't buy anything from china as they have a lot of fake cards which are basically really old cards with new ram chips so you can buy a 2 or 4gb card but it won't even be near the performance of what it claims it is, just say no to chinese knockoffs.

gussrtk

Honorable

I was leaning towards the refurb. Thanks for the advice.