looking for the best 144hz gaming monitor under 600 dollars

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016
so i have been looking for a non 144hz monitor 24 inches or under with

dvi-d dual link

display port and

hdmi port

no free sync or g-sync but i cant seem to find a good ones as i have only found ones with bad reviews basically im trying to find the best under 600 dollars

Solution

It absolutely does NOT get worse. Those displays are just "normal" 144hz displays with the additional (optional) Gsync or FreeSync feature.

GSync does add a chunk of money, but Freesync adds very little. Calling FreeSync "crap" is pretty uninformed IMHO. Toms did a blind test between the techs and while some people could tell the difference, it was fairly marginal and very few said they would be prepared to pay extra for GSync.

Anyway, if you find a monitor without adaptive sync that meets your needs, by all means go for it. I was merely suggesting that with your budget and needs I wouldn't be excluding...
If you have a 1070, 980ti or above: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg
1440p, 144hz, G-Sync (happens to be! :p), 27".
This should be run with Displayport to take advantage of the high refresh rate.

If you have anything lower: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rkphP6/asus-monitor-vg248qe
1080p, 144hz, 24".
Runs with DVI-D, HDMI and Displayport connections, so should be perfect for you.
Great value monitor, just don't use HDMI if you want above 60Hz.
It uses the same panel as the popular XL2411Z by BenQ, so they are pretty much identical, the VG248QE is just cheaper atm.

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016

yes i was thinking about going with the Asus VG248QE but i have read some really bad reviews

You'll find that it will be the same with all gaming monitors, generally complaining about colours without realizing that in this price range you're unlikely to find a TN with vibrant IPS-like colours.
It is great value for the money, don't worry, I know 5 people that own this or the XL2411Z and have had no complaints with it.

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016

but the colors and display are decent right also what would happen if i connected the Asus VG248QE to a 1070, 980ti or higher?

Just out of curiosity, if you're spending $600 on a 24" gaming display, why wouldn't you get a Gsync or Freesync model? At least get the one that matches your current card. Even if you want to upgrade your card and swap brands in future, you still have a 144hz display, it'll work absolutely fine, you just won't be able to utilise the adaptive sync. But right now, you have the budget, why wouldn't you?

Also, why limit yourself by requiring all those inputs? DP is all you need. Any GPU worth calling a gaming card cards sold in the last few years will have at least one, probably two or three.

Anyways, you have some good suggestions there. I was just wondering why the (seemingly to me) arbitrary restrictions?

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016

i didnt want to get g-sync or freesync because i want a monitor that works with both amd and nvidia and i was only wanting to use the dvi and display ports for gaming the hdmi so i can connect to other things

and i dont need dvi?

But that's precisely my point. A Freesync monitor will work on an Nvidia card and GSync on AMD, you just can't use the adaptive sync feature, so it behaves like any standard 144hz monitor (or whatever static refresh rate you choose). So that's why I'm saying match your display with the card you have now. If you swap brands in future, just use it as a 144hz (or whatever) display.

RE DVI... you don't need it at all. DP offers much higher bandwidth. Many new high end cards don't even bother including DVI anymore.

you can not use freesync with nvidia cards and g-sync with amd cards.
Nvidia does not support freesync.
AMD does not support G-Sync.
it will be just a wasted tech in your monitor - nothing will be worth or better. just regular monitor.

It absolutely does NOT get worse. Those displays are just "normal" 144hz displays with the additional (optional) Gsync or FreeSync feature.

GSync does add a chunk of money, but Freesync adds very little. Calling FreeSync "crap" is pretty uninformed IMHO. Toms did a blind test between the techs and while some people could tell the difference, it was fairly marginal and very few said they would be prepared to pay extra for GSync.

Anyway, if you find a monitor without adaptive sync that meets your needs, by all means go for it. I was merely suggesting that with your budget and needs I wouldn't be excluding FreeSync or Gsync displays... that's all.

Solution
^ I call it crap because there is no certification and every monitor manufacturer can do whatever he wants - hence Free.
There are quite a few reported issues.
And seriously, the adaptive frame rate is really overrated.
I'm really fine with Fast Sync introduced with pascal (monitor agnostic, low latency, 0 screen tearing). The only theoretical advantage of the adaptive, would be a bit of power saving. In reality, it is very insignificant.

I agree that some monitors have tiny adaptive sync ranges (like 48-75hz) making them pretty useless. But if you're looking at 144hz displays, then they all have good ranges. You're calling the entire standard crap because some monitors implement it poorly. If you just want a label that guarantees a baseline decent experience then GSync is what you need. If you're prepared to do a bit of research and read a couple of reviews, then FreeSync can offer a similar experience at a lower price.

With respect, I don't think you understand Fast Sync if you're saying it is functionally equivalent to adaptive sync... it's not. It's great when your FPS is higher than your monitor's refresh rate as it eliminates tearing while keeping latency lower than tear-free alternatives. If all you play is LOL and CS:Go, then for sure Fast Sync is all you need. But if you want to play demanding games with decent detail settings, where you'll rarely hit 144 FPS and the FPS you do get can be quite variable depending on what's happening in the scene... that's where adaptive sync monitors come into their own.

Anyway, I'm out now. Certainly don't want to hijack this thread. OP has all the info needed to make an informed decision.