Worth waiting for Kaby Lake Desktop CPU's or save my money?

Mallsi

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
At the moment, I have a Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz and it basically does most things that I need it for since I cut down my gaming. The problem is, my gpu fried on me and when I tried to remove it i made things worse by damaging the port on the motherboard that connects it. So far, the on-board graphics have done an ok job, but I'd like to get a new motherboard so I can use a new gpu. Would it be more cost effective for me to wait for the new processors and just buy the latest and greatest cpu, especially since the Kaby Lake on board graphics should be better than what I have, or should I just get a new motherboard and graphics card? Would I really see a difference in processing power in day to day tasks if I do upgrade? I don't do much other than Photoshop, web browsing, word processing, and some gaming (robocraft and so tempted to get back into WoW).

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
If I was in your situation, I'd just replace the mobo. Since you're already down a graphics card too, you'll be getting just them vs. mobo, cpu, graphics card, and ram.

Mallsi

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016

Thanks! That's what I was leaning towards!