Windows 10 Won't boot, Won't autorepair, won't go back to previous update HELP!!

FudgeYouMicrosoft

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
So I updated my PC from Win 7 to Win 10, used it for maybe 2 weeks, no problems. Then, I decided to get the anniversary update - A big mistake - the PC worked for a few days but then refused to boot, I managed to roll back to the previous update only to find out that my keyboard wasn't functioning, i tried different USB ports, updating drivers, didn't work. The keyboard did work with my laptop though... Well, after a few hours I decided to update to anniversary update again to get rid of this. The keyboard started working again and there was no other problems either, not until now, that is. I tried booting the computer, It would say something like: "Preparing automatic repair." It would do that for an our or so, and then get to the lock screen, however, when I hit enter to type in my password, It would respond with a blue screen with the spinning dots and basically loop between the lockscreen and the blue screen. Well I downloaded the Win 10 boot media from Microsoft site, booted from USB stick and tried auto repair, "Auto repair cannot be performed" or something like that, tried rolling back to the previous update - once again - it couldn't do that either. Well, i started browsing the web and tried all kinds of commands, rebuilding BCD wouldn't help, apparently there was no Windows installations found... finally I found a tutorial with something else what i had already tried a thousand times, however it appeared that my hard drive was missing a path called \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD. I tried creating a new partition to my hard drive but I already had 4, deleted one empty and tried again, apparently my hard drive needs to be GPT, and transforming it to one wipes all data from it. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO HERE don't want to lose my files.

Solution
save your files using: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ - another way is move the hdd to another PC and copy stuff off it there.

if you had 4 partitions you would have had an efi partiton.. now I don't know which one you deleted
I have a feeling I could have fixed that lack of a win 10 install found but not sure now you deleted a partition
Your hdd is likely to be GPT now if you had an efi partition

I think you best use ubuntu to copy all your files off PC you want to keep. What boot media did you get? was it the media creation tool? If you don't have a win 10 installer, do this: On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
save your files using: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ - another way is move the hdd to another PC and copy stuff off it there.

if you had 4 partitions you would have had an efi partiton.. now I don't know which one you deleted
I have a feeling I could have fixed that lack of a win 10 install found but not sure now you deleted a partition
Your hdd is likely to be GPT now if you had an efi partition

I think you best use ubuntu to copy all your files off PC you want to keep. What boot media did you get? was it the media creation tool? If you don't have a win 10 installer, do this: On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Only logical fix from here is a fresh install. Use the win 10 installer and follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution

FudgeYouMicrosoft

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

No, my HDD is not GPT, that's why I can't create an EFI partition. I deleted an empy partition that was there when I got the PC, it was about half of the entire volume of the hard drive and I kept nothing there. I already downloaded Win 10 media on a flash drive and installed Windows on my second hard drive. I just want to save some files from the old drive but when I go to Windows file manager It detects that about half of the drive is full yet when I click to open it it just says "folder is empty". Well, I'll have a look at those posts. Thanks

FudgeYouMicrosoft

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

I can't even remember how many times I tried that.

However, my PC works fine now, I tried an auto repair and suddenly it worked..? Well, I'm glad it works now