d2d1.dll not working

JAYZ303

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Hi, I have been having some troubles starting programs because of an error with d2d1.dll. The programs crash on startup with the error 'd2d1.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error'. I have tried SFC /scannow and it says there are corrupt files that need repairing but it fails to do so. I looked at the logs and it seems to be d2d1.dll as well as memory diagnostics tool. I have also tried replacing the file but it won't let me in system 32 as its being used by other programs or processors. How do I resolve this as it's affecting multiple applications. Thanks.

Solution
open command prompt with admin rights and copy/paste this in
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

if it says it needs a source, do this (If you don't have the anniversary edition of win 10, this will not work)::
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

if it finishes and fixes things, rerun sfc /scannow and it should fix the corruption

Colif

Win 11 Master
open command prompt with admin rights and copy/paste this in
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

if it says it needs a source, do this (If you don't have the anniversary edition of win 10, this will not work)::
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

if it finishes and fixes things, rerun sfc /scannow and it should fix the corruption

Solution

JAYZ303

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Hi Colif, thanks for the response. I actually updated to Windows 10 anniversary version 1607 earlier and that seemed to fix the issue. Thank you non the less.