Newegg / FedEx Ground - Terrible Experience

rp1780

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
I've been a long-time user of tom's Hardware for the information it has provided regarding PCs and technology in general. On Aug. 28, using the information I gained from these forums and others, I decided to take the plunge and make a large purchase from Newegg for pc components.

I want to share my extremely negative experience from Newegg and FedEx that I hope informs the community and convinces these companies to take steps to make their own organizations better.

Sunday, Aug. 28th: Placed a $1000 order from Newegg using 2-Day shoprunner service.

Wednesday, Aug. 31st: Scheduled delivery to my residence given a "Delivery Exception" even though I was literally staring outside my window the entire day in anticipation.

Thursday, Sept. 1st Afternoon: FedEx ground driver darts by my house because it's raining. Immediately call FedEx with my concern that the driver is not attempting deliveries. They note it and say that the driver has until end of business day.

Thursday, Sept. 1st Evening: Notification that "Delivery Exception" has occurred...TWO hours after I called them. I call them again and this time they claim they are sending a note directly to the driver to make sure he attempts the delivery.

Friday, Sept. 2nd Morning: Called FedEx again to make sure the note was sent. Given reassurance, so I wait.

Friday, Sept 2nd (around 4:45PM): Phone buzzes with a delivery exception notification as I am sitting on my FRONT PORCH! Immediately call FedEx and tell them to notify the driver to come back. They said they reached out the station and the station would let me know if they were able to reach him. I wait, no call back. I call the station directly, they are completely unaware. I tell them to call the driver, he doesn't respond. I tell the station to put a "return to sender" order and I follow up with the FedEx central customer service to make sure it's in.

Not a single door tag was put on my door this entire time. I have 24/7 cameras running as well, showing no attempted deliveries by FedEx ground. Furthermore, in this same 72 hour period, I received 3 separate packages from USPS, UPS, and FedEx Home Delivery through Amazon.

I jumped to the return to sender because I feared at this point that either FedEx was lying when they told the driver to make sure he attempts delivery or the driver is simply insubordinate to his managers. My biggest fear was not that I would be kept waiting until after labor day, but that the driver (who obviously doesn't care) might put a "delivered" even though it wasn't. Then I would be on the hook for $1k.

-------

Today, Sat. Sept 3rd Morning: I called Newegg and told them the situation. They said refund would be issued after they get back the package. Told them to get on the phone with FedEx to make sure the package is being returned. They did that. I asked for an immediate refund, they again would not give it to me. Why should I have to wait for FedEx to return items back to Newegg that never came into my possession? Even the Newegg person I talked to said my reasoning made sense.

So now I am out $1,000 for goods that have never have nor will be given to me. I don't trust FedEx to get the goods to Newegg in any timely manner. It is obscene that I am on the hook for $1,000 while a part of Newegg's own supply chain is returning goods back to Newegg itself.

It is up to the retailer to eat the risks associated with the delivery partners they do business with, not me. Amazon wouldn't bat an eye about this situation and would completely side with the customer if its partners didn't live up to their end of the bargain. From beginning to end, given that Newegg wants me to deal with the uncertainty of FedEx returning the package, I will have paid Newegg $1,000 for up to 20-days, even though I have not nor will receive a single item from them. Now I can't even put that $1,000 to use at another retailer until FedEx maybe someday delivers the package back to Newegg. So parts that I ordered on Aug. 31st may come into my possession as late as the end of Sept. due to FedEx's incompetence and Newegg's inability to do right by a customer.

This is outrageous. Just wanted to share my experiences. I know that Newegg has a great reputation (I have used them before), but I think the sometimes higher prices on Amazon are justified. I would have ended up paying about $100 more for a $1100 build by going straight to Amazon, but with no RMA processes, easy returns, and quick/guaranteed delivery to boot.

popatim

Titan
So you want Newegg to give you $1000 back without even knowing if there's anything actually in the box you sent back?

While I can see your frustation with FedEx, I try very hard not order anything that uses fedex anymore, but your opinion of Newegg is unwarranted IMO

And if you think Amazon has guaranteed delivery think again. I'm still waiting on a package that was supposed to be here last Tuesday.

rp1780

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016

Please read again. I didn't send any box back. It never left FedEx. That is the key difference. If I did send the box back, totally understandable...a return/RMA is completely different than a "return to sender" / "refusal of delivery".

NeweggSupport

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Hello rp1780,

We appreciate you taking the time to post this and are sorry to hear about your negative shipping experience.

I was able to look over this order and see that it was shipped out on 8/30 with a 2 business day shipping method which should have it delivered by 9/1. According to FedEx's site, they made a delivery attempt the day after the package shipped but were unable to deliver it as no one was available at the time so they reattempted on the next business day, 9/2, and encountered the same issue. We have a request on our end with FedEx to have the package recalled, but it appears FedEx has not updated their system with this information yet as the package is still showing that it is in transit to you with an ETA of 9/7. If you receive the package but no longer want it, please contact us back so we can assist in creating a return to refund you.

I apologize again for the negative experience. We currently require the item(s) to be returned to us before a refund can be issued as you provided us with payment for the goods that we shipped and have to receive those goods back to provide a refund. All things considered, I've provided this feedback to our Transportation team and upper management for further review and to avoid future issues. If you have any questions, or if there's anything else we can help with, feel free to email us at wecare@newegg.com.

-Rella (Newegg Support)