PC shut down randomly..

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Hi,

So I was playing Battlefield 1 for a few hours and then randomly the PC just shut down.
When I tried to turn it back on, leds were working, fans were not. I replugged the power cable and tried again then the fans turned on with leds, like normally does. So then I had nothing displayed on monitor, it stayed blank.
After that I reinstalled CMOS Battery and the PC turned back on normally again.
So my question would be what caused it?
Adding: I also disabled "Asus Anti-Surge Support" before because I had many problems with it, as I read its quite bad thing..

Specs:

CPU: I5 6600k 4.60ghz
GPU: msi gtx 970 gaming 4g manually overclocked
PSU: corsair cx600m (I know that its bad, but its working)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Motherboard: asus z170 pro gaming

If there is more information needed I'd kindly share.
Thanks for any help!

Solution
You are getting surge warnings when running a low quality PSU and you turn off the warning and carry on using the PSU? Your system is telling you that you have a power problem, random restarts are also a common issue with a PSU issue. So when will you change the PSU, after it fails completely and possibly fries other components at the same time.

Seriously get a new PSU ASAP, you have a really nice setup and the most important component is low quality and likely failing

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Well after reseating cmos battery the pc turned on without any issues. Like everything works fine for now..

I also disabled Asus Anti-Surge Support before because of the random restarts that happened.

You are getting surge warnings when running a low quality PSU and you turn off the warning and carry on using the PSU? Your system is telling you that you have a power problem, random restarts are also a common issue with a PSU issue. So when will you change the PSU, after it fails completely and possibly fries other components at the same time.

Seriously get a new PSU ASAP, you have a really nice setup and the most important component is low quality and likely failing

Solution

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I totally agree with you, but I've been reading about Asus Anti-Surge thing and many people has got this problem and usually some people says to just turn it off because its faulty

I am definetely trying to get a new PSU asap at the moment which is Corsair RM650X. I think this sounds good enough.

Those people complaining are probably running low end psu's that don't run within accepted tolerance's. If it was my PC I wouldn't use until I replaced the PSU, if it dies there is a real risk to other components. The RM650X would be a great improvement.

But you know its made with low quality components and uses a basic design with very little safety features built in. PSU's deteriorate with time, those with low quality components deteriorate faster. You have good quality components in your PC yet the most important part is very low end. It's up to you but to me the warning signs are there, a complete failure may happen with no further warning and could damage other components. It's up to you but I think your taking unnecessary risk if you keep using it

ElectronGuyzz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Yes , I agree with you.
As I mentioned before I'm trying to get that rm650x as quick as possible, right now I need to pray that nothing bad won't happen with the one I am using right now. I was watching some YouTube videos about CX600 explosions, that made me a bit worried now.