ASUS PG348Q blinking through DisplayPort

Joseph_87

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
Hello There!

I've got a strange problem with every component brand new. I've purchased this ASUS PG348Q monitor for my build, and we actually tested it in the shop right before my very own eyes. Unfortunately I left the DisplayPort cable in the shop, but I used it with HDMI cable and everything works flawlessly without any issues. Both GPU HDMI ports and Motherboard HDMI port works and screen is awesome but limited to 50Hz without gsync.
I went to a local shop to get a DP cable (http://www.equip-info.net/N-A/119331/p-1006.htm). This was the only one I could get and it was really-really cheap. I took it home and changed the HDMI cable to this. Through one of the DP ports on my brand new ASUS GTX1080 STRIX nothing happens. The same applies to the motherboard's DP port (Maximus VIII Extreme). On the last DP port of the VGA the screen is on but it blinks really fast. Like it's turning off and on constantly.
- I tried to reinstall the GPU but it makes no difference.
- Uninstalled the display driver, which again made no difference.
- I tried to reinstall the RAM modules which made some difference. If I install a single stick of RAM either of the 2 I currently have, none of the DP ports seems to be working. So, out of the 3 DP ports only one of them seems to be doing some funky stuff when both RAM sticks are installed in slots (A2/B2 - I'm not sure these are the recommended ones according to the manual but I tried every possible combination).

In the shop this monitor performed pretty much perfectly through DP connection, so I highly doubt that the DP port got defective in 2 hours by the time I got home with it. I also doubt that every single DP port in my system is broken... If it would be just one of them I could understand but all of them? I don't think so. I found some threads where people claim that it might be the cable but they were quite old, still this is my best bet so far. Sadly I have no other DP capable monitor that I could try out, only HDMI ones, but that works...
Oh yeah and no other GPU to begin with. I might try to talk to one of my friend to have their GPU to test the screen with, because if that works then I can take back my card for the 2 months of horrors with warranty in my country.

Any other tips you could give me to try?

TL:DR:
ASUS GTX1080 STRIX
ASUS PG348Q
ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme
Intel Core i7-6700k (@Stock for now)
2x8GB Corsair Vengance LED 3200MHz

Out of 3 HDMI Ports every single one of them works and the picture is crystal clear in any configuration.
Out of 3 DP Ports only one of them displays a blinking screen IF I have at least 2 sticks of RAM installed in the system. With a single stick no screen on any DP ports from either Mobo or GPU.

Monitor was tested in the shop through DP connection right before I paid for it without any issue.

Removing the GPU and using the CPU integrated graphics card won't display screen with DP but works through HDMI yet again.

Joseph_87

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
Solved the issue with a DP cable from dell that has no latches and can be pressed *deeper* into the GPU. I tried 5 different cables with latches and none of them worked, but 2 cables without these are working in every single slot.

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Thank you Joseph_87, had the same problem. I thought the power supply. Good that I saw your post. Now cable: 5k1fn12501.