Windows 10 Desktop Disk usage is always at 99-100%

mauddib87

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
So a few months ago my desktop computer started running pretty frequently (mostly after a restart) running at 100% Disk usage. The system is never at load when doing this. It does eventually go down...but not for a long-ish time after. There are no oblivious culprits but a frequent guest on the list is System and compressed memory.

I've tried all the fixes and suggestions from others...disabling windows search, superfetch, notifications, etc, to no avail. I hope you guys could help here. Thank you so much for your help. Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Solution
I recently dealt with a similar issue on ASUS Q302L laptops upgraded with 240GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Problem surfaced after installing Windows 10 Anniversary version (1607). Disk continuously cycled to 100% every minute or so. Found while in diagnostic mode, issue did not occur. After disabling and slowly re-enabling all services that differ between diagnostic and normal mode, found the "Power" service was the culprit.

As an admin, disable service from gui or commandline: > sc config "Power" start= disabled
Then reboot.

I don't like this solution as power management is removed which is frequently needed with laptop configuration.

marcusmadsen

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
I recently dealt with a similar issue on ASUS Q302L laptops upgraded with 240GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Problem surfaced after installing Windows 10 Anniversary version (1607). Disk continuously cycled to 100% every minute or so. Found while in diagnostic mode, issue did not occur. After disabling and slowly re-enabling all services that differ between diagnostic and normal mode, found the "Power" service was the culprit.

As an admin, disable service from gui or commandline: > sc config "Power" start= disabled
Then reboot.

I don't like this solution as power management is removed which is frequently needed with laptop configuration.

Solution

TearsInMyCup

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Ive been trying to figure this out but I found the solution
Go to Start > Settings > Privacy > Background Apps and turn everything off. You can turn other things in other tabs off like turning of sending diagnostic data, but I think most of it comes from Background Apps