New Build Time! (But please save me from myself as this is going to cost more than probably necessary)

Mikey_DM

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Evening all!
(and start with SORRY for what turned out to be a lengthy post!)

I used the sticky to get started, but put the info down as it came to my brain….

Looking to build within the next month.
Budget: <$3000 Cdn (less, if possible, which would make my wife happy too!)
I’m in the Toronto (Canada), so Newegg, Canada Computers, Amazon would be my preferred dealers.

Overclocking: probably not, but maybe one day, might play around if option was there.
SLI or Crossfire: maybe, but haven’t really considered it.

My motivation (the Why):
 Itching to build (something new): currently running AMD Phenom II 3.41 with 12gb RAM on Asus Crosshair III and Radeon HD5700 1gb GPU. (it’s time!!! And time for my first Intel CPU!)
 I would say I’m an intermediate gamer: 164 games on Steam, but always seem to go to the same 2 or 3, and usually older titles now. (just not into Zombies I guess!) The current rig handles them “ok”; but there is lag and occasional crash.
 If I could stream (Netflix, other online services, live sports) and play a game at the same time that would be Utopia!
 Also do a lot of Youtube and overall surfing. (noticing lately the Firefox browser hangs for a brief period when loading some sites)
 Listen to a lot of music: FLAC files or when I choose to play a record with turntable running through the PC. This Asus MOBO with what appears to be one of the better onboard audio cards/ Headphone adapters would nicely replace/upgrade my Creative SoundBlaster ZXR. Headphone amp is key for my collection as well – 17 pairs and counting!
 Clean up my desktop/cable management through increased onboard storage: I’m currently running 15 external drives. (yes, that’s 15!) back-ups and large file storage.
 Speed for file transfers is very important
 The fans on current rig are fairly loud; bringing the dbs down a little would be a bonus!

Now I know the list I’ve assembled is overkill for my usage/needs, but it would cure my woes, make for a nice rig, and also thinking long term:
• it would be VR ready (if I go there),
• handle 4K to my Vizio; when switching between sources on my TV, the PC will often go to blue screen, pretty sure it is the HDMI switch I’m using, but with a new GPU, hoping that gets cures too!
• This MOBO having 10 SATA ports should take care of my messy desk quite nicely; I would say the MOBO seems to be the driving factor to this build,
[the external storage is problematic as the USB hubs do not always boot up properly (in fact most times)]
• And as this may very well be my last build (as PCs are looking to be a slow dying platform), there are enough features and extras to keep me happy for quite some time; it would be very pretty lighting too!

I’ve read all that I can without burning my retinas out!
So now looking to you fine folks to tell me I’m crazy (or not) AND what would you swap out (and why), other suggestions I may be overlooking, compatibility issues with anything I’ve short-listed, and well just any other knowledge I could benefit from!!

So, let’s get to it! Here’s what I’ve short-listed based on all I’ve read so far…

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2cZrr7

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: not yet decided, looking for more info:
Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (for OS)
Video Card: Asus ROG GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core X9 ATX Desktop Case
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular ATX

Repurposing from current rig:
Storage 1 (raid?): Samsung 840 EVO 250 SSD
Storage 2: WD WD2003FZEX 2TB
Monitor 1: Asus PA248Q (1920x1200)
Monitor 2: Asus PA246Q (1920x1200)
Connected to Vizio M65-C1 (3840x2160)
Logitech G502 Gaming Mouse

Hard to believe how often I’ve come to Tom’s Hardware over the years and this is my first forum post!!
(so thanks to everyone who read through to the end and extra thanks to those that will reply!)

Cheers.
M.

GraySilencer

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

I have to warn you that the X9 case is seriously HUGE. I'd recommend the Define R5 instead. You can fit a lot of things in that case and it's built for silence. I would keep your sound card and re-use it, motherboard sound will always be worse even if they claim it has an amp. The 5820K is cheaper and practically the same performance as the 6800K so I recommend that. No need to spend $750 on a motherboard, the ASRock Taichi will do just fine. With that money saved you can get the GTX 1080. I would go with DDR4-2800 instead of 2133. For the water cooler I would go with the Corsair H115i. Here's the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($501.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Taichi ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($369.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($228.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($896.00 @ Vuugo)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($138.98 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($180.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2636.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-05 03:41 EDT-0400

Here is the List:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($564.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($429.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($228.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($896.00 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($180.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2753.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-05 03:54 EDT-0400

Mikey_DM

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Hey Thanks GraySilencer for your quick feedback.

Before I put the X9 in the pick list, the R5 was on my short list too – it really is a beautiful case!
I was leaning towards the X9, as it was that big and would be easier to work in if I went deeper into the liquid cooling; it is one thing I would like to play with (though this is something I know very little about).
I am running a Corsair H90 without any issues (just need to remember to keep it clean), so the 115i you suggested should be a great successor!

I should add my current rig is in a Thermaltake Spedo from a couple of years back, which was a monster then; and compared, the X9 would be shorter but will add 6 inches on the width:
h x w x d
Core x9 19.8x15x25.2
Spedo 21x9x25
Define R5 18.2x9.13x20.5

(doesn’t mean I have completely ruled out the R5 – it looks like it would help with the fan noise.)

In your GPU recommendation, I do like the idea of going up to a 1080, and see that the STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING is on sale at CanadaComputers for only $3 more than the 8G (a slight move in the base and boost clock)!

Would I have any concerns going to the i7-5820k?!
Being an older chip design, I wanted to lean towards the now and tomorrow, but if I am (really) losing nothing, but a bigger price tag, then I like how that allows for the 1080 GPU.

I admittedly didn’t stay on top of the progress in CPUs and only started to read up the last several weeks; so my ignorance may shine through a little!

Thanks again.

Mikey_DM

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Hey Thanks King Dranzer,

Based on your suggestion - I think I need to take a closer look at the MOBO - I passed by the STRIX X99 as the Rampage V E10 just had more connections and the headphone amp.

BUT, GraySilencer's recommendation - if I keep my existing Creative ZXR, it really makes the STRIX X99 a tough challenger at a much better price point.
(GraySilencer - I will still take a look at the ASrock X99, but in a very quick comparison, the STRIX X99 seems to be a little closer to what the Rampage offered).

I appreciate the suggestions, please keep them coming, it means more reading up for me, but want to make sure I put a great rig together, and with sound advice from you all!

M.