How do movie frame rates match monitor frame rates?

MnMWizard

Respectable
Mar 9, 2016
I was wondering if movies match framereates to 60hz monitors (or any hz for that matter)? Since 24hz doesn't match up equally to 60hz does it make the monitor only display 24hz or do some frame doubling?

Solution
You are stuck on how games are and not how live action video is. It's not skipping frames and don't forget videos have motion blur so is less noticeable when frames switch. You're also talking about a frame that's on a fraction of a second, not every second. You won't see that pause when it's still refreshing 24 times a second. Count them, they'd be running 2 refreshes, 3 refreshes, 2, 3, 2, 3, etc, so it's consistent and not like a jittering game fps which is what will bother people and make it so noticeable. You should notice the so called film look that 24 fps gives vs 30 fps of your tv shows.

MnMWizard

Respectable
Mar 9, 2016

So If I'm watching a 24 fps movie on my 60hz monitor why don't I get a bunch of screen tearing?

They just show the same frame for multiple refreshes. Some frames stay on longer than others. This isn't the same as gaming where a frame can be rendered faster or slower and pushed to the monitor asap. The movie is a steady framerate and the gpu driver does not handle it the same as gaming so no screen tearing. It's the same reason you shouldn't get tearing just browsing the web or using any other software. They have screen refreshes just like everything else.

MnMWizard

Respectable
Mar 9, 2016

Is the 6/12 fps skip not noticeable? Seems like there would be a tiny pause every second.

You are stuck on how games are and not how live action video is. It's not skipping frames and don't forget videos have motion blur so is less noticeable when frames switch. You're also talking about a frame that's on a fraction of a second, not every second. You won't see that pause when it's still refreshing 24 times a second. Count them, they'd be running 2 refreshes, 3 refreshes, 2, 3, 2, 3, etc, so it's consistent and not like a jittering game fps which is what will bother people and make it so noticeable. You should notice the so called film look that 24 fps gives vs 30 fps of your tv shows.

Solution