Problems with opencl.dll and error 0xc000007b

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Ok, so I have just tried playing a game (Ashes of the singularity) and got the error code 0xc00000007b. after a lot of reading, installing and repairing of .dll files, C++, dx11, dx12, I ran the SFC on Command prompt and found the Opencl.dll file is corrupted in several places and cannot be repaired because the source file is corrupted.

The Microsoft home page states that the recommended way of dealing with this is to replace the files manually, So I have downloaded the file and tried to replace it in all the locations where it it corrupted (about 8 different folders contain this file). I found suddenly that I cannot replace it in some folders though as my administrator account does not have the required access, only trusted installer does. I cannot change the access level of these folders as, ironically enough, I don't have the required access.

Does anyone know a way of replacing the .dll file in folders where I don't have access, or changing my access level so I can do it?

Windows 10 pro
Core i7 6770k
64gb ddr4 Ram (4 x16gb)
GTX960 x2 sli
2 monitors

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

this scans system files and may fix this behaviour
restart PC
then in same windows, copypaste this in
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

dism fixes files SFC uses to clean your system files, once its run redo SFC /scannow

If dism throws an error saying it needs source files, you can fix that but it depends if you using the latest Anniversary update to Win 10. If you aren't look at the link below for the win 10 installer and click the link above it on page that says update now - this loads Upgrade Assistant that will update you to latest version of win 10

how to fix Source error
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Well, thank you for a thorough answer. I have followed your instruction (I have a windows disk already), Command prompt tells me that the files have been repaired.

Sadly, I am still getting the 0xc000007b error. I have installed another game that I used on my previous Windows 10 build. The 64 bit version also brings up the error, but 32 bit version works fine (Project cars). It seems that there is another damaged or missing .dll file, but I have no idea which one.

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Tried with a previous pack, it failed. I have tried again with this pack (exactly the same files as the last time) and still get the error.

Do you know if there is a way to find out what .dll file is causing the problem at all?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

4745454b

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from RichardWood1 : "Cannot play advance games necause of error error 0xc000007b."

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
I have solved it, installing "The Witcher" also seems to have given me the missing .dll file. I still don't know what file was missing, but all happy and working now, thank you for your help.

btw tenforums were completely useless for this problem, the memory dump told them nothing, but thanks for the try anyway