1440p Monitor Questions

Buggu

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Dear all,

I just made enough money to buy a GTX 1070/80 on Craigslist (both $400), which has been a hope for a while. I now need a good suggestion for a monitor. I currently have a Dell 2007WFP and I am in the market for a 1440p display. If I get the 1070, should I go for a 1440p 144Hz or 60Hz monitor? I know the 1080 would be better at 1440p 144Hz. Also, if I get the 1070 is G-Sync a necessity? I was thinking about a few monitors: the Acer G257HU and Dell U2515H, the Dell S2716DG, the ASUS MG/PG279Q (MG if G-Sync isn't necessary), and the MG/PG278Q. This brings me to the problem. I think the 2007WFP is an AH-IPS panel (though I could be wrong, someone please help). As such, I would like to know if today's TN panels will be a better experience than I'm used to, and if a fancy IPS will be worth it. I know the IPS panels of now are better than the TN panels, but will the TNs be better than 2007's IPS tech, or not?

Solution
definitely go for 144Hz with the 1070. you would be wasting performance at 60Hz.
TN panels are actually quite good and mostly differ in viewing angles. people's opinion differ so I would recommend going to store and looking at them in person before you make a decision. these monitors are quite expensive and you should buy whatever makes you happy.

both the PG278Q and PG279Q are great monitors, I chose the IPS version because I never had an IPS before and I needed a HDMI port for my console.

for the TN version you can also consider the Dell S2716 depending the price in your region.

I game on a dark room, and somehow I felt the TN panel was a better fit for all lights off environment. I find myself turning some lights on or opening...

frank_hnd

Honorable
definitely go for 144Hz with the 1070. you would be wasting performance at 60Hz.
TN panels are actually quite good and mostly differ in viewing angles. people's opinion differ so I would recommend going to store and looking at them in person before you make a decision. these monitors are quite expensive and you should buy whatever makes you happy.

both the PG278Q and PG279Q are great monitors, I chose the IPS version because I never had an IPS before and I needed a HDMI port for my console.

for the TN version you can also consider the Dell S2716 depending the price in your region.

I game on a dark room, and somehow I felt the TN panel was a better fit for all lights off environment. I find myself turning some lights on or opening the curtains with my IPS monitor in order for it to look its best.

Solution

frank_hnd

Honorable

I know it is a bad habit but now I leave some lights on. I have a projector room so I got used to watching content with the lights off.

Bufty2

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Understandable and easy to do but not a good idea, as you say.

I just have a small flexible desk lamp clamped to a shelf above, with the light focused down on the left side of my desk.

Buggu

Reputable
May 21, 2015

I am curious about lights. My apartment's blinds don't really block much light and my 2007WFP is super glare-y and I can't see much detail on the screen. Will a monitor that is TN do better, or worse?