Can't get onto desktop or reset pc - just black screen.

chloe_6

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
I can't get onto my desktop. I can't even reset my PC. All I get when I boot it up is a black screen - no cursor. I am running windows 10, or atleast I was but I'm sure its deleted itself... again. If anyone can just tell me how to recover it without using desktop features that'd be great. Looked for hours but not found a solution.

Solution
Do you get the bios flash screen or nothing at all? If nothing, is everything else working? does mouse/kb light up? screen show any sign of life?

if you get bios, that is a start

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB id first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

see how that goes

if usb works and you can get into advanced start up, there are a few things you can do from here...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you get the bios flash screen or nothing at all? If nothing, is everything else working? does mouse/kb light up? screen show any sign of life?

if you get bios, that is a start

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB id first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

see how that goes

if usb works and you can get into advanced start up, there are a few things you can do from here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

if you want to rescue things off pc, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Solution

N0Spin

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Something to look at...just an odd note I recently ran into.

Just for giggles, try pulling out your memory sticks (note which slots they came from and their orientation), then add them back in one at a time (if allowed) or a pair at a time, just be sure to keep the pairs together and verify how your motherboard memory channels are setup.

You could have 1 memory stick fail and lose all video (even BIOS screens). I never would have believed it but it happened to me.

Aside from that I would echo the previously mentioned solutions, especially trying a bootable Linux CD/thumbdrive just to see if you get any video back when you don't run off the loaded OS/drive..