Hi, will you be able to help me? I've accidentally burned a small portion of my Ethernet Cabel could this damage anything in m

Yolanda_5

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Our IT guy at work said that someting went wrong in my PC when the cabel was slightly burned and needed to format it or need to fix something on PC board.

My laptop was working perfectly with my Wi-fi etc....

Please help with some answers.

Regards

Solution
I'm sorry, your question is really confusing, could you please put it in a more clear way? How could one "accidentaly burn a small portion" of an ethernet cable???

Yolanda_5

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Hi

A small portion of my ethernet cable got burnt by a fan heater, but up until that point my laptop was still working fine. But then our IT guy took the laptop from me and said afterwards that I damaged the laptop because the cable was burnt while connected to my laptop. From what I know and what Ive been told it is virtually impossible for my laptop to get damaged by the cable getting burnt unless it was struck by lightining or unless a power surge went through it that is much higher than my laptop can handle which was not the case at all.

I therefore need written confirmation that my cable could not have damaged my laptop as I now need to prove that I did not cause any damages to my laptop prior to it being taken away from me by the IT technician who is now blaming me and my boss is siding with him.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks

Yolanda_5

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
The laptop is the companys.

I did however give ot through to the It tech.

What I need to now is can the ethernet cable that was burned about 1cm damage anything inside my laptop?

I want to prepare myself as me and the IT tech needs to explain.

notlim981

Distinguished
Well a burn ethernet cable could damage the laptop as the specific point of cable that burned may short the laptop. HOWEVER the laptop, as well as the cable, must be checked by a professional to have this clear.

USAFRet

Titan

Can't give "written confirmation" without laying hands on it.

Can a shorted out/burned/damaged ethernet cable adversely impact the operation of the laptop? Yes.

Yeah, if the wire insulation was melted and the copper wires inside of your ethernet cable were exposed, they could have shorted out and potentially damaged your NIC. It's an honest mistake though, they shouldn't be getting on your case about it.