Possible to mix a monitor & HDTV for dual-monitor setup?

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Ok, so currently I’m shopping around for a new HDTV for the living room (see thread here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3178414/suggestions-hdtv.html). That’s going to free up our 20” TV, as we’ll move the 32” TV back to the bedroom.

In the meantime, my PC is currently connected to an Acer 20” monitor. It’s not bad – max resolution is 1600x900 – but one of the nice things at work is having 2 monitors to work on.

As noted in my signature, I have an R9 380 right now. It has HDMI & DVI outputs, & might have a VGA, but that’s about my limit on what it can handle. My current monitor only has VGA or DVI options, but the TV would have to use an HDMI input. Is it going to be possible to set up my system so that I can use both the monitor & TV, especially with both using separate inputs? I’m assuming there will be limitations based on the resolutions – I’ll have to check on the TV for the exact model to find out what it can handle – but would I be correct in assuming that would be more of an issue with gaming than with regular usage of the PC?

Acapella

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
Nah you're fine. Just HDMI to tv and DVI to monitor. Your PC will figure out resolutions and stuff. Some games will only open on the main display, like Rocket League. But you can choose which display will be your main.