Computer constantly freezing after system reset

Euan_2

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Ever since I did a PC reset my computer has been constantly freezing and restarting.

I installed all the drivers, ran virus checks, did a fresh install of windows, ran memory diagnostics, you name it I probably did it.

The only place it doesn't freeze is in safe mode, but as soon as I go into normal mode it will randomly freeze. There's nothing I do that causes it. It just freezes.

I have no idea what is going on

Can't tell you the full specs of PC as that requires using it but I remember it was

AMD 8core CPU
8gb Ram
Amd 7950 GPU
Corsair 450W
Samsung 250gb ssd
1tb hdd

Solution
Hi Euan,
That's good information. It tells you the faulting file is SearchUE.exe, which is part of Cortana. I see several reports of the same problem after resetting Windows 10. First thing to do is use the CMD and with adm privileges, run SFC /scannow. That will check for any corrupted system files, and correct them if necessary. See if that corrects the problem. Cortana can be turned off to see if that corrects the problem, easiest if you have Windows 10 Pro, done in the gpedit (group edit).
Also when did you reset Windows 10? Those BSOD bug checks from June may not be important here, if they were before resetting Windows, or because you reset Windows.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, and welcome to Tom's Hardware.
If you don't develop a stop error in safe mode, but do during a full boot, it means there is a driver causing the problem.
In safe mode, go to System Properties, Advanced, StartUp and Recovery Settings, and uncheck the Automatically Start after a system failure. That way on the next regular boot, you will be able to read the bug check error and parameters. There may even be a possible driver causing the problem.
If you could relate that information, we can better help find the cause of your computer freezing. Also tell us what version of windows you have on this computer.

Euan_2

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

Thanks John. I unchecked that but the computers still autorestarted without a blue screen. The event viewer just tells me that windows shutdown unexpectedly and the only event that happens before that is this

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899970
Faulting module name: CSGSuggestLib.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x578997f8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000177f9
Faulting process ID: 0x1548
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2088834ab3443
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\CSGSuggestLib.dll
Report ID: f7f0ab3b-1f7f-4253-b0fe-68e019241dbf
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.7.0.14393_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

I use Windows 10 64bit

EDIT: Just found this as well

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎06/‎09/‎2016 22:15

Status
Report sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
Code: 109
Parameter 1: a3a0055fa74ebc33
Parameter 2: b3b711e5f9cfa0ad
Parameter 3: 6
Parameter 4: 18
OS version: 10_0_14393
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
090616-6828-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: BAD_DUMPFILE

Another separate unexpected windows shutdown log gave me this

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎06/‎09/‎2016 22:46

Status
Report sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
Code: 124
Parameter 1: 0
Parameter 2: ffff99041179b8f8
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_14393
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV
Server information: f7169077-e5f7-4f8b-bdd9-5c95d3e7a6ce

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Euan,
That's good information. It tells you the faulting file is SearchUE.exe, which is part of Cortana. I see several reports of the same problem after resetting Windows 10. First thing to do is use the CMD and with adm privileges, run SFC /scannow. That will check for any corrupted system files, and correct them if necessary. See if that corrects the problem. Cortana can be turned off to see if that corrects the problem, easiest if you have Windows 10 Pro, done in the gpedit (group edit).
Also when did you reset Windows 10? Those BSOD bug checks from June may not be important here, if they were before resetting Windows, or because you reset Windows.

Solution

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Euan,

Couple other things to check and report on. At next boot, go to the Device Manager, and see if you have any yellow alert triangles shown in front of any hardware device, and also go to the Action Center, Maintenance, and see if a driver might be only partially installed - requiring a click there to complete it.

Also are you running the Anniversary Update? ver 1607? My SearchUI.exe file has a later version number than yours does, so go to Settings - Update and Security - Check for Updates. They updated that file and the CSGSuggestLib.dll file so possibly getting the latest versions may solve this problem.

Also here is a report of what sounds like the problem you are having. http://windowsreport.com/searchui-exe-windows-10/
Don't run any of the "automatic fixes" some sites entice you to try, but this report Solution 2 uninstalled Cortana, and reinstalled it successfully. Would only try that if disabling Cortana in gpedit temporarily solved the problem.