Computer Wont Auto-Boot from HDD

BananaCreamPie7

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
When my computer boots-up it will not boot from my HDD. If I go into the boot menu I can select the correct HDD and windows will boot.
When I go into the BIOS the HDD does not show up on the Boot Priority List. I have tried resetting my BIOS to default settings and that did not work.
I have not made any hardware changes to my computer in months. And the only software changes I have made is downloading programs for school. To try to resolve the issue I updated windows to the latest version, which is the anniversary update. This also did not work

My computer specs can be seen below:

Windows 10
1TB & 500Gb HDD
AMD FX-8350 AM3+
GEFORCE GTX 770 4gb
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
AS ROCK 970 EXTREME 3
Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-675M 675W

Thanks!

Hey there!

I suspect that you might have had both HDDs ( the 1 TB and the 500 GB) connected to the motherboard when you were installing Windows. I'd recommend going to Disk Management and check how both HDDs appear there. Posting a screenshot would be really helpful as well.
I'd recommend you try booting your system with just the boot/primary HDD connected and see if you will encounter any strange errors or BSOD.

If you did have both HDDs connected to the SATA ports when you clean installed Windows, you might be dealing with an OS confusion. If that is the case, I'd recommend re-installing the OS onto the primary drive, just make sure you unplug the secondary/data drive from the mobo.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.
SuperSoph_WD

BananaCreamPie7

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

Hello,

The 500gb was added to the build at somepoint. However I cannot remember if that was before or after I installed windows 10.
Here is a screenshot of my disk management:
http://imgur.com/FJEnm79

I also forgot to mention that I have tried switching the SATA port the drive was connected to, and changing the sata cable that was connecting the drive. Neither of those helped.

Thanks for the information!

Well, everything looks fine in Disk Management, so that would rule out the OS confusion. You mentioned that you have reset BIOS already, but I'd also suggest you go to the motherboard manufacturer's official website and find the support page of your mobo's model. There, you should be able to find all the latest drivers & downloads for it. Make sure you manually update the SATA controller & Chipset drivers from there as well as update BIOS to the latest version. Updating a.k.a. flashing BIOS is a very delicate process, so please follow the mobo's manual instructions and make sure you don't interrupt the procedure.

Hopefully, that would make this issue go away.
Let me know how it goes.
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD