Best budget gaming monitor upgrade for 1080p (free-sync vs. non) for low/mid cards

marxr87

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hi all,

I was wondering what sort of budget monitor I should get. G-syncs seems to be out of my range, and I've heard that free-sync is good for low-mid range amd cards. But I've also seen that it doesn't make a terrible difference (so just don't buy into either).

I'm running a 2500 (non-k), and considering cards anywhere from the 750ti/ r370 to the rx 480/1060. I'd like to stay under $400 for both the gpu and monitor, while getting as close to high/ultra settings on most 1080p games.

Would there even be much of an upgrade over this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005144

Thanks!

Solution
Your monitor is probably good enough to continue using, unless you want to upgrade your monitor to 1440p. From my experience, although the 750ti is alright, your may definitely want to aim a little higher. Considering your CPU, maybe somewhere in the range of a GTX760 or GTX960, depending on how much you want to spend.
The reason I wouldn't recommend much higher, is that your CPU might start to bottleneck your system a little bit. That's just what I think, I may be wrong though. You could also use the savings to put towards a new processor/MB.

bmw-vision

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Your monitor is probably good enough to continue using, unless you want to upgrade your monitor to 1440p. From my experience, although the 750ti is alright, your may definitely want to aim a little higher. Considering your CPU, maybe somewhere in the range of a GTX760 or GTX960, depending on how much you want to spend.
The reason I wouldn't recommend much higher, is that your CPU might start to bottleneck your system a little bit. That's just what I think, I may be wrong though. You could also use the savings to put towards a new processor/MB.

Solution