Constant BSOD on new custom laptop

iubere

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Hi,

So I bought a speced out custom laptop (xnotebooks which uses clevo barebones) to use for my research job and thought I might save my project some money by installing windows myself, biggest mistake in my life. I have gotten windows 10 to work properly and stable one time (after spending days with drivers so I have no idea what I did to make it stable). Then I tried to make a dualboot with linux, because I do a lot of programming, (which I can also do in windows but some tools like graph-tool are only available for linux) and this ruined the bootloader of windows and ruined the whole install. So I decided to do a clean install of just windows 10 since this would be sufficient for my job.

So now I just want windows 10 to be reliable and then I'll be set. But I am getting BSOD's constantly with a variety of error messages and for the life of me I can't figure out where they are coming from.

Since some of the bsod's pointed me to the ram I ran a 17+ hour 8pass memtest which came up with 0 errors and the only note was that my ram might be vunarable to the hammer test.

I am pretty sure it is driver related since I get no errors in safe mode.

I have tried installing all the drivers provided by my laptop manufacturer, didn't work. Tried updating them manually via the component manufacturer site, didn't work. I don't know if I am overlooking a driver or something but I hope someone can take a look at these minidumps and maybe point me in the right direction.

minidumps and msinfo32: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvqjRfa9FLB5jXg10Ln_8FjbB8HD

PS: I am not running the jubilee update yet since I the bsod's are so frequent that it can't get through the whole updating process without crashing.

iubere

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Hi Colif,
Thanks for wanting to help! Here are the results from the last 2 bsod's that whocrashed gives me, as you expected it points at windows .

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 7/09/2016 6:41:25 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090716-3625-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x2770)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFE001713FC720, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF803C0A944CF)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 7/09/2016 6:39:25 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090716-7359-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142780)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF800D36E5730, 0x2, 0x8, 0xFFFFF800D36E5730)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Hope this tells you more than it does me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
They are both driver errors... hal.dll = hardware abstraction layer, the part of windows that sits between software and your hardware, and ntoskrnl is the Operating system kernel which ineracts between drivers and windows. So 1 or more drivers are asking windows to do things it should not be doing

What make/model is the laptop?

iubere

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

it's a xnotebooks mediator sky 15. Xnotebooks is a dutch company that works with clevo barebones and lets you customize almost any part of the laptop, full specs can normally be found in the msinfo32 file. But how do I figure out which driver drove the windows into failure?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Alas, who crashed wasn't very helpful in that regard so we wait for someone who has the right software and can read dump files. There are am few of them around