Can't Extend Hard Drive Partition w/o Creating Dynamic Drive

Colyer823

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Windows 10, Western Digital 2TB Blue, if that matters. Let me know if any other hardware is relevant.

I'm upgrading my PC hard drive and have been running into a few issues. Through extensive googling I was able to fix all of them so far, but I'm coming up with very little on my current issue.

I have both my old drive (which my computer is currently running off of) and my new drive connected and I've used Macrium Reflect to clone my old drive onto my new. That part went without a hitch.

However, the drives that cloned onto the new hard drive have the same partition sizes as the old drive. This was expected, but I thought I'd be able to easily fix it. This appears not to be the case.

Looking at Windows Disk Management, I can see the unallocated space. I right clicked F: and selected Extend Volume. It gave a default amount of 1297248 Mb with Disk 1 under the selected, so I hit next and finish, but got an error.

"The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk to dynamic disk. If you convert the disk to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Now, that sounds like the opposite of what I want for a replacement drive as my assumed next step was just to swap the SATA cables between the two disks and hopefully be golden.
In all of my googling, it looks like Dynamic Disks are caused by having too many primary partitions, but this is just extending my third on that drive, right?

I also downloaded EaseUS Partition Master to see if it would be able to do what Windows couldn't, but instead, it shows a different issue. When I select that F: Drive to resize, it doesn't show any unallocated space (there is no space to move the slider into to the right, and the "Unallocated Space Before" field shows 0.

Thanks!

Solution
Try the free version of Easeus Partition Master. It's always worked for me when the Windows Administrative tools wouldn't.

Good luck.