After Reset, programs work, but does not appear as installed

Unclefu22

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Hi everyone.

I just reset my Windows 10 the light way, chose to keep all my personal files, but delete all Apps.

So I now have a bunch of Apps (programs) on the second D: drive, mostly games installed through Steam, which does not appear in the Windows Installed Apps list.

They do seem to run fine, but I just wonder if I should reinstall to avoid future problems or is it not important?

Windows also created a sort of "backup" folder on the C: drive, called Windows.old with some of my old programs, they also seem to run fine, but also doesn't appear in the list...

Hope someone can clarify this issue!

Solution
That Windows.old will go away by itself in 30 days, so be sure whatever is in there that you need...you do something about it before then.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, and Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Good questions - would guess you "refreshed" your Win-10 because of some issue or problem. The "refresh" choice installs a clean version of the OS, keeping your personal files and profile. It does not install 3rd party apps as they are a major cause of problems. Some may not even be compatible with Win-10. I would take a few days making sure the new Win-10 is functioning normally, and then reinstall your applications one by one. (it is a pain in the -, but by far the best way to get a solid running computer). I also check the Event Viewer after an Application installation to see if there are any errors specifically related to that new program, and research and correct them at that point. There are "lots" of Info, warnings, & errors, that are logged in the Event Viewer that are not related to a new program installation, which you don't need to worry about.

The Windows.old folder holds all your pre reset system files and personal files, and could be used to restore back to the earlier version if there were a major problem with the "refresh". Once you are satisfied your new build and installed apps are good to go, then you can delete that folder safely.

Unclefu22

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Thanks for your answers! Very useful. Will start the tedious job of uninstalling and reinstalling ;-). Funny though, that all programs seem to run fine even when not "officially" regarded as being installed. I didn't think it worked that way, what with registry files and all.

Once again thanks for clarifying!

USAFRet

Titan

Some do, some don't.
Some work, but have 'issues'.