my nividia graphics card seems to act weird

Andy_96

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
i recently just had a nvidia gtx 1070 installed into my computer. but once i started playing cs go i had 60 fps and even got 40 fps when encountering smokes. i tried opening up my nividia control panel to see what is going on but when i tried to open it it said that i was not using a display attached to the nividia gpu. so now i have two problems:

1. my gtx 1070 is showing poor performance when playing games
2. my nividia control panel it not working

i have also uninstalled/reinstalled my driver many times but no results although framerate only improved alittle but still drops massively when encountering a smoke

my specs:
intel core i7-6700k cpu @4ghz
32 gigs of ram
gtx 1070 graphics card
and an asus h170 pro motherboard

edit: nvidia control panel is now working. the gtx 1070 still delivering poor performance

Andy_96

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
i currently also have a dvi and hdmi plugged into my monitor. my vga is plugged into the motherboard and i am currently using the vga should i switch the dvi?

fudoka711

Distinguished

Don't worry about it.

How many monitors do you have connected to your computer?

For you main monitor that you're playing CS GO on, make sure that cord is plugged into your gtx 1070. If you connect it to your motherboard, you will be using your integrated GPU on your i7-6700k instead of your gtx 1070. It would be better to use a DVI or HDMI cord over a VGA cord. There is no appreciably visible difference between DVI and HDMI. HDMI will transmit audio though, so if you're using your monitor's speakers, you'll want to use HDMI.

Once connected to your 1070, you may disable your iGPU (the one on your 6700k) in your BIOS if you'd like. This way there's no way for you to accidentally use your iGPU instead of your 1070.