Using different dual channel ram kit

cocoaconan

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi,

I'm having a little problem here. My system is currently running a set of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 and I'm planning on upgrading the system by putting another two 8GB RAM inside, I'm thinking if the system will work fine if I put a set of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133.

I have an i7-6700 cpu, Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP motherboard.

Thanks.

If you have any notion of mixing brands of ram sticks, as said it`s not recommended Coaoaconan.

If you insist on doing so, make sure the speed, latency timings, and the voltage are the same as the existing memory kit of G.SKILL are the same as the new brand or kit of memory you buy.

Get the information off the sticker on the G.Skill memory.

The latency values quoted on the memory stick will always be for the XMP memory profile setting where the memory will work at it`s fastest speed setting ok.

cocoaconan

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Thanks for your reply, I'm pretty sure that the 16GB memory kit that i'll be getting is exactly the same as the existing ones but just the capacity is different (existing ones are 4 GBs and the new ones are 8GBs)

So does it mean it will actually work fine if eveything is the same but just the capacity is different?

Thanks.

cocoaconan

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
So does it mean if speed, voltage, timing, latency and type are the same then it would probably work?

Thanks.

Again, it's not best practice. But I'd give it a good chance. Just make sure wherever you purchase from has a good return policy just in case it turns out to be more fickle than expected.