DVI-D Single link not supporting 1920x1080

Blazhun

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
So I bought a MSI GTX 1060 6GB version but I didnt have a DVI-D cable only VGA. I went forward to buy a DVI-D Single link cable but now my monitor cant handle the 1920x1080 resolution only the 1680x1050 one. I cant even set it higher, the latter mentioned is the last resolution. Any ideas why cant I set it to higher resolution? Maybe its a driver problem? Also the monitor worked just fine with my HD7870 with VGA cable, this had me thinking that maybe the DVI-D port of the monitor might be faulty. Thanks for help!

well if your monitor is analog dvi-d don't support it and why the card with a dvi-I will - I feel replacing dvi-I with dvi-d on cards is a mistake as now your findng out and why I bought a 900 card with native analog support ..

you may need to look at ''active'' converter adaptors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

so your card don't support analog natively 10 series cards are all digital only

Blazhun

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
Well thanks for the answer, I either had to go with HDMI or DVI-D but my monitor didnt have HDMI plug either only VGA or DVI-D I went with the DVI-D.I tried messing around in Nvidia resolution settings but I only end up with a kind of blurry image so I guess I will go with the 1680x1050.

you need to get a active adaptor to convert the all digital signal to analog DVI-I carries analog DVI-D /hdmi / display port does not and will not work proper on a analog display

DVI is designed to deliver uncompressed digital video and can be configured to support multiple modes such as DVI-D (digital only), DVI-A (analog only), or DVI-I (digital and analog).

Blazhun

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
Well thanks for the answer, oddly enough 1920x1080 worked perfectly with VGA cable on the HD7870! Solution picked tho :p And sorry for the lame question afterall.