Does this system make sense.

TRTHAvarice

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi, I was hoping the community here could speak from experience and tell me if there will be any severe bottlenecks in my system post upgrade and if my system will perform in the tasks that I do.

My system includes:
fx 6300 with stock cooler
gtx 670 windforce oc 2gb
8 gb corsair vengeance dual channel
600w 80+ bronze power supply
h440 case

I am currently building a few computers for different friends and coworkers, and most of them have opted to pay me by allowing me to purchase a part on their budget and replace that part with my equivalent (an example is one budget includes an fx 8370 that ill be taking and replacing with the 6300)
The upgrades in total will get me
fx 8370
kraken x61
rx480 8gb reference

I plan to use the system for gaming, video editing, 3d modeling and rendering(blender and the like), and coding (Visual studio 2015 and the like)

With these upgrades will i be bottle necking anything in particular or will my system be operating at relatively high performance/potential?

Thanks. :D

scuzzycard

Honorable
What motherboard are you going to be installing the FX-8370 in? Only the best FM3+ motherboards can actually handle an 8-core FX-series CPU running at 100% load. Either way, the FX-8370's weak single-threaded performance will bottleneck the RX480 when gaming. For 3D rendering, the FX-8370 does better, easily matching Intel's fastest i5, but nowhere near an i7.

If you have a suitable motherboard, and 3D rendering performance is more important to you than game performance, the FX-8370 makes sense. If your motherboard does not have a robust VRM, it might make more sense to go with a Skylake motherboard and an i5 or i7, if your budget allows for it.

TRTHAvarice

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
My motherboard is the ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard, i purchased it knowing i would eventually upgrade my cpu.