I really need some advice! Building and Selling Computers as a Side Job/Hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler_thomas48

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Hi everyone. :D Thanks for checking out this post of mine. I have a pretty simple question, I'm just looking for a bit of guidance from maybe some more experienced computer junkies out there. I just wanna give a really quick, short introduction so I can get the best information possible.

I'm 18 years old, and saving up for college right now. I have a part-time job but I'm just looking to bring in some extra cash to pay for college and help my grandma pay the bills. I'm not a tech wiz by any means, I just know a little bit more about computers than the average Joe. While it's nothing impressive by any means, I built my first computer in 9th grade when I was 14. I've been interested in Computers pretty much ever since. I think that gets most of the information down that I wanted to cover? I'm not too good at writing these kinds of posts.

I'm just wondering about something. I'm looking to build computers for relatively cheap to me, but I'm wanting to sell them to where I can make a decent profit. I live in a mid-sized city, and around a bunch of smaller cities where Sports are really popular and not many people know how to/are interested in building computers. That's why I want to monopolize on this opportunity to make some extra cash. The plan I have in mind is starting off with a cheaper build, installing some custom LED lightnings on it to spruce things up, sell it as a dedicated gaming rig, and etc, etc.

But how do I go about doing this? I know how to make the build. But how do I start off relatively cheap and net profit from the start?

I'd appreciate everyone's response greatly. I love you guys, thank you. :wahoo: Just let me know if you have any questions, okay? I don't mind discussions or just answers to my question. I seriously need any advice I can get.

Ralston18

Titan
May or may not be doable in your area.

Start by pricing comparable computers that are being sold in your area via big box stores or anyplace for that matter. Especially computers whose specifications match or are close to what you envision building.

Then go online and price all of the necessary parts for that envisioned build. Total up the component costs, including shipping and taxes as applicable.

Decide how long you it will take you to build and test the system once you have all the components. Multiple the hours by at least your currently hourly wage from the part time job. Now you have costs $ + labor $. Decide what profit % you would like to have. Add that in.

Is the total price comparable to what local computer sources are pricing their computers at? Is your part time hourly rate enough per hour or do you want more. Easy to crunch numbers to see how things add up for better or worse.

The real issue is support: If your build breaks you will need to cover the costs of new parts and "your" labor. (aka warranties). Unfortunately even sales to family and friends will sour quickly if the systems do not hold up. And family and friends often expect discounts lessening your profits.

That all gets even worse with other buyers who may go to great lengths to avoid paying you or, if unhappy for any reason, want their money back.

Go into all cautiously and understand the up front costs and risks.

And also remember there may be various taxes, regulations, etc.. that could crop up and add costs. Along with aggravation....

Status
Not open for further replies.