Can't get 5.1 audio through PC with logitech Z906 speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean S

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Hey I am trying to get 5.1 audio with my PC using the Logitech Z906 5.1 speakers. I am connecting the Pc and the speakers through a optical cable to my GA-z170x gaming 3 motherboard. I have the appropriate drivers installed (Realtek HD audio Manager & Sound blaster X-fi MB3) and have the speakers set to 3D audio (which is 5.1) on the speaker control hub. On the SoundBlaster interface, it does not allow me to select an option of 5.1, only 2 speakers. These speakers work with my xbox just fine but cant seem to get it to work with my pc.
Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Solution
Z906 is tricky, I told you. 4 speaker settings

3 with indicator lights on control unit:
stereo 3d sound - simulated 5.1
Stereo 4.1 - just plays stereo signal through front and rear
Stereo 2,1 - Stereo signal

True 5.1 has no indicator light. Worst design move ever.

To get 5.1, you have to use remote to set it with no led ilit and it will be in 5.1 mode - it also only plays 5.1 if the source audio was recorded as 5.1

I know this as I have a set of Z906 and I can get 5.1 through analog cables.

its a shame it doesn't make it more obvious, it doesn't even mention it in manual: http://www.logitech.com/assets/36226/z906620-002920006ug403.pdf

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Is there an option in your SB Manager/Control Panel OR Realtek for selecting DTS? If so, enable it. Also, look at and right-click on your speaker-icon in the taskbar and see what it is showing for PLAYBACK DEVICES. Ensure that your Optical speaker/connection is selected and is the default playback device.

There should be a drop-down in the SPEAKERS/HEADPHONE tab for 5.1... If not, try reinstalling the software (newest version if avail) with the optical cable connected. And relook at SB options and your taskbar PLAYBACK DEVICE(S) settings, as stated earlier.

The 1st paragraph should get you there... Good luck!

Dean S

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
So I tried what you said, and after re-installing both softwares, the Realtek audio manager is now giving me more options such as EQ and other sound effect but still nothing with surround sound or DTS. But also, the Sound Blaster app keeps saying "No supported audio device available" and doesn't allow me to even navigate the app. I have re-installed it 2 more times and still nothing. I have also selected the proper playback device and the speakers are working but only in stereo sound. Any other tips?

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Try setting the speakers to "NO EFFECT" or taking it out of the 3D audio you spoke of... If this has no effect, and I did not ask this earlier... is the stereo sound in ALL playback events or only with music/video.

Reason asking, is:

- Soundtracks in games allows for manual setting to match your speaker configuration
- Some music player programs allow for manual setting for decoding to allow for multi-speaker setups (on PC)

On another note I found this which may explain a lot even though the user is using a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU (rev. 1.0). This is from: https://hardforum.com/threads/gigabyte-z170x-gaming-7-lga-1151-motherboard-review-h.1876576/:

I've got a vanilla optical cable (which basically needs to transfer light from one end to the other). there IS SOUND via the receiver, but it's only stereo (so the cable's not the culprit). my receiver can detect when dolby/DTS is present. not the case with this mobo.

I've tries almost everything I can think of (and that I know worked for me in the past), but nothing's working...
I'm in contact with Gigabyte at the moment, and what they're saing is this:
"Please understand that different product may design with different features. GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU (rev. 1.0) had confirmed released without Dolby / DTS features, if you need the function of S/PDIF 5.1 channel, you need to purchase the motherboard with the license support of Dolby / DTS; otherwise, you need to purchase the license from vendor directly or other hardware / software solutions. Sorry for the inconvenience."

So I suggest that you double check if your system is really outputting 5.1 audio... right now' I am very pissed at Gigabyte!!! it took them three replies to tell me that the s/pdif doesn't support dolby/DTS, and thus far hasn't given me any meaningful help or solution

Even though you are connecting direct to your Logitech Z's, this MAY apply to your motherboard sound-chip as well. This would explain why your X-Box could/can decode no problem. IF so, your only other option is to use analog connections OR go with an add-on soundcard that offers DTS/Dolby encoding.

Honestly, you'll have a hard time telling the difference between optical and analog with plug-n-play speakers, if you go the analog route.

Hope this helps/sheds some light on your situation...

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
I've done some more reading on this... In your BIOS, there appears to be a setting or should be a setting called "AUDIO DSP". Users who have it enabled then and disabled it, have more audio options appear/become enabled once doing this.

Check this setting in your BIOS and reverse it's current status. Also, ensure that you have the latest/most current BIOS for your motherboard installed, prior to doing this.

Dean S

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

The only setting i can find is "Audio Controller" but with that disabled, my pc shows no 'audio devices detected' and doesn't give me an audio source to select. Its weird that when i plug in my 5.1 headset, Realtek Audio Manager gives me an option to select 5.1, 7.1, etc. and the abilty to change the volume of indivual speakers in a surround sound system setup but not with the 5.1 speakers using optical cable. Also SoundBlaster still doesn't even work anymore. It did before I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. At least when it was working i had bass control. This is a very odd thing.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
I suspect your Realtek audio chip or BIOS requires an update, as the website for it (your motherboard) DOES advertise as supporting Optical Out: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5497#manual (see page 12). I'd try another optical cable, if you have one handy.

If these options do not work, it sounds like you have exhausted all the steps that you can do on your end and you'll need to put in a support-ticket to Gigabyte directly, in order to see why your sound-chip is refusing to output optically...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just checking in: You sure speaker controller set to 5.1? Not sure who thought it smart to not have a 5.1 indicator on the desktop control unit, having lights for stereo, dual stereo and what ever 4th setting is, is confusing as hell at first. You get 5.1 when no lights are on.. huh?

I had opposite problem setting my speakers up, could get sound out of all speakers in digital but analog was another story. Took 12 hours to get them right. The indicator issue may have played some part in that though.

Realtek HD Audio Manager only has 3 tabs on digital, being Sound efects, DTS Connect (that is only for 2 speaker set ups) and DTS Ultra PC. If you plug in Analog pf any kind, you get 6 tabs, The extras being: Speaker Config, room correction & default format

Speaker Config is the tab you need but its not available on digital connections. Its not a bug with the gigabyte motherboard, its a feature of the chips I think.

Dean S

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

Ok so i contacted Gigabyte and they said that the optical cable does not support 5.1 surround sound with this motherboard. Which i didn't get how that works but they said i have to use the analog cables to get surround sound. I plugged in the analog cables and when i go into the Realtek Audio manager and select 5.1, i dont get anything. I updated my software, I made sure the speaker control console was set to the right settings, but still only get stereo. I think im giving up on this issue now unless someone finds another troubleshoot problem.

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
Z906 is tricky, I told you. 4 speaker settings

3 with indicator lights on control unit:
stereo 3d sound - simulated 5.1
Stereo 4.1 - just plays stereo signal through front and rear
Stereo 2,1 - Stereo signal

True 5.1 has no indicator light. Worst design move ever.

To get 5.1, you have to use remote to set it with no led ilit and it will be in 5.1 mode - it also only plays 5.1 if the source audio was recorded as 5.1

I know this as I have a set of Z906 and I can get 5.1 through analog cables.

its a shame it doesn't make it more obvious, it doesn't even mention it in manual: http://www.logitech.com/assets/36226/z906620-002920006ug403.pdf

Reactions: FBZeb
Solution

Dean S

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

Oh man I wish I read your message sooner. That was the problem, I didn't know there was a 4th setting on the control console of the speaker system. Stupid mistake on my part for not knowing the simple solution, but also dumb of logitech for not making it obvious there was another setting. It works fine now, 5.1 is sounding great. Thanks so much.

Smelts

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016

From my experience with the z906 and a vizio tv (e3d420vx) connected with digital optical, there actually is a decode light that comes on when it's decoding. It actually locked in and wouldn't let you change to the other modes if it was decoding. The ps3 worked fine with the decoding light too, But I am having the same problem now that i have it hooked up to a pc (ga-170x-ud5). Seems to be working when set to the no light mode, idk gotta watch a few movies n see i guess.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

You mean, I've been running in simulated 5.1 this whole time?! How do I set it to true 5.1? Can I do it on a TOSLINK input?

EDIT: It's six channel input only so unfortunately does not solve my issue. I am aware this is a necropost before anyone says anything

Mickychops

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
I have an optical connection and cant select the 4th setting with "no effect" I have cycled through the remote and just goes between the 3 settings lit up on the receiver. How do you select the 5.1 setting so it reads off the audio card?

Also it doesn't appear you can configure the speakers for distance and is still showing as 2 channel audio and doesn't pick up 5.1.

If anyone can help I would appreciate as it is driving me cray cray

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

I can't get the no effect mode either with optical
I have it on input 1 though

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think the cause is actually the source

because your sound card doesnt have an encoder. only audio already encoded (DVD/BD movies) will play in dolby digital.

and as for your ripped movies, that depends on their audio stream inside the files. if its DD or DTS and supported by your receiver, then yes it will work.

to explain things a bit better since people are getting confused:

If you are passing through existing dolby digital audio (from a DVD or BD movie, legit, or ripped with the audio intact) then it will work.

If you want DD audio from other sources (games, MP3 files, whatever) then you need a sound card with real time encoding, that can turn your analogue 5.1 audio into digital 5.1 audio, then compress it to dolby digital so your receiver can understand it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-to-connect-logitech-z906-to-pc-to-get-dolby-digital.159287/

Speakers can only output what they are sent. If your soundcard or motherboard doesn't have DD 5.1 then you won't get it on games, music etc unless its on the original source

Which output on PC are you using?
i believe in spdif mode the speaker system decodes the signal bypassing your soundcard and when using 3.5mm cables it relies on the soundcard to do the processing.
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/61885-6-logitech-z906-spdif-analog

digital or spdif?

You should make own thread in audio and see who bites there.

Status
Not open for further replies.