New hardware upgraded without reinstalling Windows 10?

Braintrauma

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Ok guys so I just would just like to know if it is possible on windows 10 to do a complete motherboard, ram, and cpu swap without reformatting my hard drive. I currently have a very old asus p6t deluxe v2 with a intel i7 920 that i would like to upgraded to a asus H170 pro gaming motherboard with a intel i7 6700K with DDR4 ram and a new graphics card(gtx 1080:). I'm currently using a 1 terabyte harddrive for windows 10 and also my current OS was upgraded from windos 7 to 10 using the free upgraded, I keep seen online that it is possible to do but i would like to get some more input on this, thank you.

Solution
You can enter safe mode and install drivers then enter normal mode again.
Run "msconfig" without qoutes.
Click boot tab.
Check "safe mode" and select minimal
Restart computer, install the drivers. restart again.
after reboot
run msconfig again, deselect safe mode. And the right drivers should be installed
Restart...

USAFRet

Titan

There is no 100% either way.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does, but you find lingering issues later.

And a youtube video only counts if he has the exact same hardware that you do.

j19861986

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
You can enter safe mode and install drivers then enter normal mode again.
Run "msconfig" without qoutes.
Click boot tab.
Check "safe mode" and select minimal
Restart computer, install the drivers. restart again.
after reboot
run msconfig again, deselect safe mode. And the right drivers should be installed
Restart...

Solution

Braintrauma

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
So guys i went ahead and follow the instructions from the video i posted earlier and installed the new mobo and so far so good, the computer booted in to windows just fine, new cpu, ram and video card working just fine, the only thing that change was that windows ask me to activated, so I put my key from windows 7 on windows 10 and it authenticated my copy, I did not think that it was going to accept my key from windows 7 but it did, now i need to clone windows 10 and move it to the new m.2 ssd card.