Down grade windows 10 pro to home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawton

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
I have recently built a new computer and installed windows 10 pro on it without entering a license and running it that way. I looked at how much pro key was and found it was going to cost too much so i want to down grade to windows 10 home as it is half the price. Is there anyway to get windows 10 home without having to wipe my drive and reinstall it?

Solution
all you have to do is download the home version and run the installer while booted up in windows. it will give you the same options as any other "upgrade" and let you chose to "keep programs and settings" like normal.

no problem at all as it will change you to home and leave your stuff intact. use the media creator tool to get the iso for home version. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

edit: i have done this numerous times myself so i know it works :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
all you have to do is download the home version and run the installer while booted up in windows. it will give you the same options as any other "upgrade" and let you chose to "keep programs and settings" like normal.

no problem at all as it will change you to home and leave your stuff intact. use the media creator tool to get the iso for home version. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

edit: i have done this numerous times myself so i know it works :)

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
was bored and thought i'd give it a shot once and it worked fine (test system i play with and try all kinds of odd stuff on). will also work for home to pro version just FYI. but so far can't go from 32 to 64 bit or back without a fresh install. gave it a good try a number of ways and could not make that work with win 10.

if you were going from home to pro then all you would have to do is go into settings and enter the pro licence key and it would upgrade to pro automatically but i am not sure if you do the same thing since you are downgrading. the media creation tool now just gives you a generic windows 10 image that will install either the home or pro version depending on your key. and yes it is not possible to go from 32 to 64 without a clean install

Mitchell_

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016

i am on windows 10 pro and i tried downgrading to windows 10 home by your method it doesnt work

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what about it does not work for you? as i said, i have done this numerous times and it has worked for me. both home to pro and pro to home.

what kind of errors are you getting? or what about the process is not working for you? need a lot more detail about what you did and what the outcome was if i am to offer any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.