Windows 10 Anniversary Update failed to install, error code 0x80070002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrti

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I was trying to update to windows 10 anniversary update to get halo 5 forge. But when I checked for updates, it said that my device was up to date, yet I was running version 1511. I tried manually installing it, but I got through the process, got to 84% on the install process, and then it gave me error code 0x80070002. I tried following the microsoft solution, yet it didn't work twice. My friend used the same software, but his downloaded faster, installed faster, and worked. Anyone know how to fix it?

Solution
did you use the upgrade assistant to update? download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its just handy to have and can run the upgrade process using the USB. Just open file explorer and run setup on the USB

since dism asked for a source and you using old version of windows, kind of stuck. You can't do a reset either as dism cleans the image it would use to reinstall windows 10.

If running it off USB doesn't work you might have to fresh install win 10 to get it on PC. If you don't rush into it, you can copy everything off PC you want to save before doing it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so was this the fix you tried: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/910336

or this one: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/feature-update-to-windows-10-version-1607-error/67605b86-6994-4062-8613-c0bcc9d5777e

try this
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

once its finished, then copy/paste this into same window
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM cleans the image SFC uses to clean windows so if SFC found corruption it couldn't fix, DISM may have fixed it so re run SFC again.

If DISM asks for a source, we stuck as it needs an ISO copy that matches your current install and unless you have one, the ISO on Microsoft's site is the AU which you are trying to get.

Mrti

Reputable
May 3, 2015

I did the first link u sent and I did the steps and it asked for a source. I do not have an iso though currently.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you use the upgrade assistant to update? download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its just handy to have and can run the upgrade process using the USB. Just open file explorer and run setup on the USB

since dism asked for a source and you using old version of windows, kind of stuck. You can't do a reset either as dism cleans the image it would use to reinstall windows 10.

If running it off USB doesn't work you might have to fresh install win 10 to get it on PC. If you don't rush into it, you can copy everything off PC you want to save before doing it.

Solution

rajeshmehetha

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Hi,

Windows 10 Update error 0x80070002 or 0x80070003

Step 1: Windows Service Checklist:

Open Windows services.msc, check the following services status (If it is different set it to the recommended settings)
Service Status(Start/Stop/Blank) Automatic/manual/Disabled
Background Intelligent file Transfer Started Automatic
Crytographic Service Started Automatic
DCOM service Started Automatic
RPC Started Automatic
Windows Modules Installer Started Automatic
Windows Update Started Automatic
Windows defender Blank Disabled
Windows firewall Blank Disabled
Disable any third party antivirus applications, as it may block the Windows 10 upgrade process.

Step 2: Reset Windows updates:

Resetting windows updates, in this step we will clean up old failed updates that have been saved in the computer, let start by first disabling the windows update service.

Disable Windows update service and stop the service
Now open Run command and type %windir%
Check for Software distribution folder delete the folder. (If it fails restart the computer, then try deleting it)
In Run command window type “cleanmgr” to launch disc cleanup to clean old junk files.
Restart the windows update service set it Automatic. Once completed, the windows upgrade error code 80070002 should be resolved. Try the upgrade now.

Please refer to this link for more info :

http://www.msofficelivesupport.com/windows-update/windows-10-update-error-0x80070002-or-0x80070003/

Status
Not open for further replies.