How to transfer os from one drive to another?

Oct 8, 2013
So the hdd with my os on began to fail. I cloned the drive onto a fresh hdd hoping it'd only copy the files. I bought a new ssd hoping that I'd be able to swap the failing drove with the clone, and then install windows on the ssd. Instead, the clone has the os on it. How can I transfer the os from the clone to the ssd? Could I unplug the clone and load up without it, forcing me to install onto the ssd? But then wouldn't putting the clone back in cause issues as there are 2 os'? Km also concerned that by re-installing I will lose windows 10, (the disk is windows 8).

Which SSD did you purchase? Several of them come with migration software-or a download link to it.
How did you upgrade to Win 10? AFAIK, if you upgraded with a bootable media the easiest way forward would be to: With the SSD installed, disconnect the new HDD, Boot from the Win 10 install media and reinstall a fresh OS from there.
Be aware: A SSD works best when formatted under AHCI, but the HDD must also0 be formatted under AHCI, mixing IS possible but messy, if the dying drive is still available, it's best if you save out any files you want to keep to either a DVD image or USB flash drive then reformat the SSD AND new HDD under AHCI mode-you should be able to do this during the Win 10 install.

Oct 8, 2013

I purchased a kingston 120gb ssd. I installed windows 10 by the update thing that kept popping up in the bottom corner of my screen.
Both my cloned hdd and new ssd are formatted under NTFS.
What im concerned about is if i remove the clone with the os and boot then i will have to use my windows 8 dvd to install the os on my ssd. But hasnt microsoft updated it so that you're no longer able to update from win 8 to win 10 for free now? So i wouldnt be able to install windows 10?
Also, would having 2 drives with an os on them cause issues?
After installing the os on the ssd, would i have to delete sys 32 etc. from the cloned hdd?