Stuck in EFI Shell, USB ports not working.

stevenliu201

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I left my computer for about 1hour. I came back and everything was frozen except my cursor. I restarted my computer and it just said EFI Shell Version 2.31. I read some forums saying I should type "exit" but all my USB ports are not working and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I tried clearing CMOS by taking out the battery and putting it back in, no results. Please help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
one person fixed it recently just moving hard drive to another sata port

Alright guys I finally figured out! I hope I can help anyone else that is stuck in EFI Shell. So solve this I took out one of my ram sticks, which on start up brings up the screen saying "memory or CPU was changed. press F1 to go to set up, and F2 to use default settings." On this screen my keyboard still didn't work....I have no idea why not. After mashing the F1 key I plugged in an old PS/2 keyboard like you guys recommended. With this keyboard I still could not press F1....I could however press Del on the startup of this screen which took me to BIOS FINALLY! Why the Del key didn't work before the EFI Shell screen but did work before the "CPU or memory changed" screen I have absolutely no idea. After I got to the BIOS it was as simple as changing the 'boot' option from "EFI boot" to "disabled"
Anyways that's how I solved this strange problem, I hope I could help out others! :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2577273/stuck-efi-shell.html

it seems moving stuff around in PC normally gets people into actual bios

stevenliu201

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I don't know what happened but everything is now working. I had the problem last night and I tried switching to other sata ports, clearing the CMOS and I also tried to type in "exit" but my USB ports were not working. Nothing worked. I went to sleep and I turned on my computer the next day and now everything is now working. I still have no idea why my computer works or why it just booted into EFI.