Can't install (gpt/mbr/can't locate partition)

LukBoy99

Reputable
Sep 9, 2016
Ok so this is my first build im using a 500 gig hdd I had lying around, I fully formatted it to 1 ntfs partition and I tried installing windows to find a message saying it's mbr and I need gpt. Fine, I convert it to gpt and try again, Windows cant create a new disk /locate existing error message on choosing the partition.
I tried different sata, cleaned hdd back and forth between mbr and gpt, checked that mobo was set to uefi+legacy but to no avail, please help me.

Solution
Hi Luke,
It can be tricky initially setting up a GPT partition type to install Windows 10?
What I would do is attach the 500GB HDD to your new computer using the SATA 0 connector, connected to the Motherboard PCH. Don't have any other HDD's attached to the MB during installation, just this drive.

Then boot your computer using a Win-10 USB or downloaded ISO file on a DVD drive. It will automatically start "install windows" (3 pages). Click on Shift F10 which will take you to the Command line with Adm privileges.

type "Diskpart" which will start the command line diskpart appl. Type "Select Disk 0", then "Clean". If you want to make this disc a GPT Partition type, type "Select Disk 0", then "Convert GPT". The Partition type is now GPT...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Luke,
It can be tricky initially setting up a GPT partition type to install Windows 10?
What I would do is attach the 500GB HDD to your new computer using the SATA 0 connector, connected to the Motherboard PCH. Don't have any other HDD's attached to the MB during installation, just this drive.

Then boot your computer using a Win-10 USB or downloaded ISO file on a DVD drive. It will automatically start "install windows" (3 pages). Click on Shift F10 which will take you to the Command line with Adm privileges.

type "Diskpart" which will start the command line diskpart appl. Type "Select Disk 0", then "Clean". If you want to make this disc a GPT Partition type, type "Select Disk 0", then "Convert GPT". The Partition type is now GPT. By default Windows 10 sets it up as an MBR type, as you discovered. If you want to make the Disk type Dynamic, you would type "Select Disk 0", then "Convert Dynamic", but If you are only going to use the 1 drive as your Boot drive, PageFile, CrashDump, etc. don't change it to "Dynamic" and it will remain a Basic Drive. Win-10 will also place an EFI System partition and Recovery Partition on the Drive. Click "Exit" to exit DiskPart and back to the installation.

Then continue on with the installation, choosing your Language and Keyboard settings, then choose "Custom Installation", "New Partition from Unallocated Space" and "Use Full Space". The installation will format the partition with NTFS, and continue on the installation.

When installation is complete, you can go back to DiskPart, and type "List Disk". It will show you the Disks, and have an * under the GPT (or Dynamic) column if set up that way..

Solution

Svetman

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017

Hi John! Do I have to worry about loosing data of any other partition, when I am doing this GPT conversion?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Svetman,
From your question, you probably have a HHD with two or more primary partitions, and want to convert a non system partition from MBR to GPT? Might tell us more about your computer, MB model and age, OS that's running (win-7, Win-10), size of drives, how your HDD/SDD's are set up and partitioned. You should always back up any data from a partition you are going to manipulate, and if you are going to use Diskpart, have to make sure you know and select the partition you want. That can be tricky.
Converting an MBR partition to GPT should not effect another partition on the physical drive.

Another option to evaluate is to use a 3rd party partition program, such as Easues Partition Master (Free or Prof), that can convert a partition without data loss. Might be worth looking at if this is your first partition manipulation endeavor, and reviewing the stated features.
www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

There are several other 3rd party appls that can do the same conversion, but Easeus is well recommended.