Time on system keeps jumping to the wrong time.

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Hi, this happened to me very recently, woke up one morning and my time had changed, thought nothing of it at first just thought maybe the time servers it updates from was bugged or something... and I updated it and was fixed...... awhile later it happened again, .. it keeps on happening.. it says its 11.34 now when its clearly 17.33, if I update my time via internet it will show the correct time... but it eventually.. it just goes back again, any idea?

If
1. this is a several year old PC
2. the time change comes after you showdown the PC and let it sit powered down
3. the time never goes bad when the PC is in sleep or running
then suspect your CMOS battery.

Almost all CMOS batteries replace the same --> buy CR2032 battery at grocery store or online for $3, open case, find the battery in a holder on the MB, swap batteries it making sure the new battery gets oriented the same as the old, close up case, Goto BIOS, RESET TO DEFAULTS, SAVE. then boot and set time.

The " Goto BIOS, RESET TO DEFAULTS, SAVE. " step is important, the same battery keeps all the bios setting good across shutdown, so if you are having time problems you may also get getting garbage in the BIOS. If you have any custom BIOS settings (OC settings, etc) you'd set those up after doing the reset to defaults and before teh save.

Good luck. Lots of videos on youtube if you google for them. You MB manual or your PC OEM maker (Dell, HP, etc) will have instructions unique to your PC. Here are some generic instructions from HP/Compaq http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph04375

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013

Its not several years old. my current setup was changed only last year, new motherboard etc everything was replaced with upgraded stuff.. never had such an issue on my old computer and that was a good few years old and by the time i replaced my setup I never had to replace the CMOS battery... and the time changes when the pc is switched on.

Try BIOS update : http://superuser.com/questions/706848/windows-7-time-keeps-changing-by-itself

"... if I update my time via internet it will show the correct time... but it eventually.. it just goes back again, ..."

If using the "set clock from internet" with your current settings is getting you the correct time, and your MB/CMOS battery are both good then something that is not normal windows processing is changing the time.

Try SAFE mode, does the time ever change if you boot in safe mode ?

Try virus/malware scan from bootable anti-virus. (e.g. free norten utility)

Then look through installed programs for one that might think it a good idea to mess with your clock, especially if you installed something around the time you noticed the clock getting bad.