Second Hard Drive Decision

LukeFig

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Hi.
I currently have a 250gb 850 EVO in my system. Ive been adding to my steam library a lot lately and i think its time for another hard drive. I am either gonna get a 1tb WD Blue hard drive or a 2tb WD Blue. The 1tb spins at 7200rpm and the 2tb spins at 5400rpm. I would prefer the faster speeds, but if its only for games and large files then would it really be a big deal? I would definitely rather have 2tb, but i still want fast speeds. Which should i go for? Also, i saw a 2tb Seagate Constellation that spins at 7200rpm. Would that be a good option? Or should i stick with the WD?
Thanks!

P.S. The 1tb WD is cheapest, the Seagate is in the middle, and the 2tb WD is the most expensive.

Hey there, LukeFig.

Basically you shouldn't see much of a difference in terms of performance between the 1TB and 2TB models. Check the specs sheet for reference: WD Blue Spec Sheet (PDF). Having in mind that you'd use it solely for storage and/or gaming, you should be fine with the 5400RPM drive. In terms of gaming the only difference that a faster storage can make is how fast the game loads and how fast are the in-game loading screens. In this case, judging by the drives you're considering, I'd say that you probably won't be able to tell the difference. It would've been a whole different story with an SSD though.

Anyway, you should get the drive that suits you best, in terms of performance, size and budget, so it's up to you to decide.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD