With Win10 so developed is there any reason left to go back to 7 or 8.1?

dragonoar

Honorable
Jun 30, 2016
- Sometimes windows 10's new "features" that come with updates are annoying. (the anniversary update broke my games)
- Windows 7 has more theme (VS) and is more customizable.
- AFAIK W7 uses less RAM than W10.
- W7 is final so I think there will be less compatibility issues.

1) agree, some issues with a few games some of which won't be fixed. (on game side, or driver).

2) however, DX12 is required for some games now so you need W10 to play those and upcoming games

3) if you like W7 themes... I really like the new Start Menu in W10 (but not the slight tweaks to it such as my NAME disappearing except a mouse-over of the icon. sigh...)

4) W7 vs W10 for compatibility?
arguably W7 may be better that way, but going forward W10 is going to be better supported. many of the security and other features won't be obvious though

5) RAM USAGE:
It's not completely comparable, but W10 is better IMO. What confuses people is that the memory manager's job is to keep as MUCH as possible in the fast, system memory so it's available when you need it. It should also leave enough free to quickly launch new programs.

If W7 uses less than it's not necessarily a good thing. It means it can take longer to start a program which W10 predicted you might do so had it sitting in memory.

6) W10 has been problematic, including the recent Anniversary update. Sure. In some cases majorly so.

*I had issues as an early adopter (I told others NOT to get the free upgrade for several months but I help people so had to. I got BSOD for several months then a W10 update fixed them. Recently my web cam streaming was broken with the Anniversary update (I'm aware of the reason). Major mistake on Microsoft's part there.

However...

Long story short is that for MOST people Windows 10 is better than all previous in many ways, and will continue to improve, even if the differences aren't obvious on the surface.

You can't say one is "better" for everybody, but it is better for most.

So basically unless you have some major compatibility issue I'd stay with Windows 10. Lack of drivers for expensive equipment like my dad's film scanner is one reason. For that we decided on a dual-boot setup.

eduduzs

Commendable
May 12, 2016
It worries me a little state of constant development of Windows 10, suddenly my hardware or software can be incompatible and just stop working properly or just with poor performance require more frequent hardware and software updating?

dragonoar

Honorable
Jun 30, 2016
^
That's what happened to me with the anniversary update. most of my games started to stop responding and I had to downgrade my version of windows.

@photonboy

- By theme I mean the clean minimalist ones on deviant art in which they make W7 look like a brand new OS with custom icons and start orb, not just "a wallpaper and a color scheme"
- Yeah I agree the start menu in W10 is better, and I actually like cortana.
- I don't like onedrive, windows defender and that you have to sign in with your password every time you turn on your PC.
W7 didn't have those. (it's good for the casual users but for power/experienced users it's really annoying)
- I like that they always implement something new each update, but those are kinda pointless. Edge is a fail just like IE. M$ should have dropped it long ago.
- Another thing, windows store is really a nice addition. it's kinda like google play for windows, but the UWP itself really sucks. my forza always crashes after a race.
As for the lack of drivers, can't you just use the compatibility mode ? I've never experienced any software compatibility issues with W10 actually.

That's just one reason why wise folks make periodic full system backups to external hard drives. Contrary to what some apparently believe, it won't give you leprosy to do it. ;)

I see no reason to upgrade from 7 or 8.1 but no reason to go back from 10 either. They all work just fine for me.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
The Anniversary update gave me no problems at all. It worked like a charm, making Windows more compatible, more solid and faster. Now, for example, if a game crashes and produces a black screen I can Ctrl+Alt+tab out of it which I couldn't in previous versions.